First steps with iohyve got error "Could not open '/dev/nmdmA0'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Hello,

bhyve is one of the features I was most interested when checking FreeNAS. I want to test some projects that are better documented in distros such as Debian. Although I'm also getting used to jails and want to work more with them.

I tried to set up a Debian machine following the instructions described here:

https://github.com/pr1ntf/iohyve

And this is the result.

Code:
autocert  NO  NO  NO  Maquina debian para conseguir certificados
[root@lavochkin] ~# iohyve isolist
Listing ISO's...
debian-testing.iso
[root@lavochkin] ~# iohyve install autocert debian-testing.iso
Installing autocert...
bhyveload: Could not open '/dev/nmdm0A'
[root@lavochkin] ~# vm_create: No such file or directory
[root@lavochkin] ~#

Can't find any information on google and since bhyve is something new to me I feel completely lost.

Any idea of what's happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Thanks for the video. Watched it today and expect to try this on weekend.

I'm just getting familiar with this but un the long run I would like to have a trunk port on an interface and virtul machines in different vlans.

Do you know about a good guide talking about this topic?

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Hello again,

Followed the instructions and everything worked all right. I was able to got the machine working and installed all the needed software.

Right now is the machine I use to update a certificate from let's encrypt.

Everything went fine for the first few picoseconds but today don't know what happened to network but lost complete connection to that virtual machine.

Don't know what happened and everything seems to be alright, it's a Debian and I'm pretty familiar with it. All is fine but can't reach any other device in the network.

Any idea on how to debug this? Is a better idea to open a new thread since the original question is solved.

EDIT.
Now that I think this morning my ISP changed my IP and just checked at the kitchen that hour at the microwave was not set. My detective skills tell me that I had an energy cutoff this night.

So the problem seems to be that my server rebooted and since then my virtual machine lost network.

Last edited by a moderator:

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Well after some reading and few tests wit tcpdump, noticed that packets reached the tap, the bridge but not the physical interface.

Running an ifdown and ifup on the interface solves the problem. But same happens after a reboot. Will ask in new thread.

Thanks again for the tutorial, really helps for getting used with iohyve.

Status
Not open for further replies.