• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

First install, network woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaker

Cadet
I want to convert my previous gaming laptop ( Gateway P-7803H-CA) in an iscsi SAN using some esata disks and freenas. I know the throughput on the on board nic to be pretty decent as it was pushing data at 980 Mbps when I was using it as a Windows file server. So I was pretty keen on adding some cheap iscsi to my home lab.
So I installed the the latest release of Freenas to the laptop brought it online and could ping the ip but the web page would barely load. I would have to reload it about 5 or 6 times just to get it to load and then I could barely logon and could not use it for anything. Eventually it brought down the ethernet ( just a dlink desktop gigabit switch, but never had a problem before) switch it was connected to. As soon as I unplugged the freenas box everything else connected to that switch came back online.

So I'm thinking it's maybe line speed and duplex not playing nicely with the switch. I have no knowledge of linux, though, and have no idea where to even try and configure those settings.

Any pointers anyone?

Thanks

EDIT: ok, well after some more searching and troubleshooting it seems that the nic in this laptop ( Marvell ) is simply not supported in Freenas due to a lack of manufacture BSD drivers. Ok, good to know. I'll have to come up with some other solution then :)

EDIT 2: It's actually a Marvell 88E071..has anyone had any luck with this? The manufacturer does list BSD drivers for download...

EDIT3: In case anyone was about to respond to the question about 88e701 support, I have abandoned that project and have acquired today ( yay for workbench cleanup day ) a Dell 2950 decommed server from work, so I'll be moving on to making that my new iscsi storage server...I'm sure I will have many question then, but at least I know there is support for the 2 on board Broadcom NetExtreme nics and the Intel PRO/1000 4 port card inside my new 2950. So once I get some proper SATAu caddies for it, I'll be good to go hopefully :)

On a side note I did get the gateway laptop to act as an iscsi server using Windows 2008 R2. The performance results were great ( I could write to the iscsi target at 980 Mbps), but the laptop has only one esata connection that does not support port replication, so probably not a great iscsi solution going forward anyway. The Dell Poweredge I got has six internal drive bays, 4gb of ram and a dual core 3ghz proc, so it will be a better , more scaleable solution anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.