First Home NAS Build Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcorbet

Cadet
After many hours of trying to research and understand, I am thinking I could try to build this:

Case:
Lian LI PC-Q25 Mini-ITX Tower NewEgg 100.00

Motherboard and Processor:
ASRock C2550D4I Amazon 325.00

Power Supply:
Seasonic SS-440FL2 Amazon 110.00

RAM:
ECC UDIMM 1222MHZ HP (2x4) EBay 140.00

HDDS:
WD Red (4x2TB) Amazon 400.00

======================= $ 1075.00

The primary use will be just for file system sharing amongst a mix of Windows and MacOS hosts. If it works well in my home, the extension will be to provide private cloud storage for the kids and grand kids who are not backing up the digital assets they are accumulating on their own devices. So, if the configuration looks ok to start, does it also look to be ok for whatever 'jail' applications might need to be running as well?

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure just what that RAM is, but it looks very dodgy.

Get something from the QVL (ideally 16GB, too).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

tcorbet

Cadet
Thanks to each of the three responders. First, my apologies for a type in entering the model/nomenclature for the memory sticks; it should have read 1333 rather than 1222. Second, as $140 being way to much for 8G, I agree, but this is the last place I think any of us wants to question the price of ECC RAM given all the postings that claim that "its not really that much more expensive", since all the other RAM I've ever purchased has been non-ECC at very much lower cost than anything I could find that seemed to match what the motherboard mfg required. As to $180 for 16GB being a better deal than $140 for 8GB, I appreciate the recommendation, but as my very simple system had already broken my hoped-for "under a grand" budget, I was looking for any reasonable ways to get the price back down a bit.

So, again, thanks for each and every response/recommendation. I'll probably try to build this and get it running, but I will have to save up a little while longer before I can start clicking on the "submit" button on those web sites.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, FreeNAS isn't meant for those that have a set budget. 4x2TB drives have a good chance of needing more than 8GB of RAM. So buying the 16GB up front is probably a better choice.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
As to $180 for 16GB being a better deal than $140 for 8GB, I appreciate the recommendation, but as my very simple system had already broken my hoped-for "under a grand" budget, I was looking for any reasonable ways to get the price back down a bit.

So, again, thanks for each and every response/recommendation. I'll probably try to build this and get it running, but I will have to save up a little while longer before I can start clicking on the "submit" button on those web sites.

I would follow cyberjocks recommendation on this. You're going to end up very frustrated if you don't. Trust me.

Good luck

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks to each of the three responders. First, my apologies for a type in entering the model/nomenclature for the memory sticks; it should have read 1333 rather than 1222. Second, as $140 being way to much for 8G, I agree, but this is the last place I think any of us wants to question the price of ECC RAM given all the postings that claim that "its not really that much more expensive", since all the other RAM I've ever purchased has been non-ECC at very much lower cost than anything I could find that seemed to match what the motherboard mfg required. As to $180 for 16GB being a better deal than $140 for 8GB, I appreciate the recommendation, but as my very simple system had already broken my hoped-for "under a grand" budget, I was looking for any reasonable ways to get the price back down a bit.

If you must, get a single 8GB DIMM. Unless you're living in Australia or thereabouts, it can't possibly cost 140 bucks. 90-100 is reasonable.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Will that board work with just a single stick?

ETA: Found this in the user manual but it still doesn't specifically say whether or not it will work. I would assume it would by how it's worded but I'd hate to be the one to find out otherwise.

1. For dual channel coniguration, you always need to install identical (the same brand,
speed, size and chip-type) DDR3 DIMM pairs.
2. It is unable to activate Dual Channel Memory Technology with only one or three memory
module installed.
3. It is not allowed to install a DDR or DDR2 memory module into a DDR3 slot; otherwise,
this motherboard and DIMM may be damaged.
4. Please install the memory module on DDR3_A1 for the irst priority

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Will that board work with just a single stick?

ETA: Found this in the user manual but it still doesn't specifically say whether or not it will work. I would assume it would by how it's worded but I'd hate to be the one to find out otherwise.
Of course it will, any motherboard will. (Within reason, please no weird edge cases)

tcorbet

Cadet
Wherever I found the HP/Dell memory quoted, it was for a configuration that I tried to indicate in my little spreadsheet above as being 2 cards of 4GB each. Thanks for the additional comments/concerns. If I were to try to get by with 8GBs, to keep my costs down, it would be in such a 2-slot configuration. In any event, I've got the message that 16GBs is more recommended and have taken that into account.

The larger, stronger message that FreeNAS "isn't for those that have a set budget" I have now fully apprehended, so I am well advised not to try to build this kind of solution to my home computing needs. Thanks for the advice of your collective experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.