First FreeNAS - storage and Plex server

Svorre

Cadet
Hi,

I've been lurking the forums for a while contemplating if I should build my own server or try a cheaper pre built NAS. I ended up getting to try a Zyxel 542 for a while and even though it's working ok, it fairly slow, maxes out a 4x4TB and is not powerful enough for Plex. So I'm back here planning to build something better. The main use for the server will be storage and running a plex server that will rarely be used by more than two, maybe three people at once for 1080p. Ideally I would like to have something capable of handling 4k transcoding, but I have maybe two or three 4k files that will direct play at home so it's no big issue. Based on my searches here that requires a beast of a CPU bumping the cost quite a lot.

I do have some hardware already:

- Two PNY 120 GB SSD
- A 120 GB m2 SSD
- 4 x 4TB Ironwolf Pro
- Fractal Define R5

Here's what I'm eyeing so far:

- Intel Core i3-9100F
- Supermicro X11SCA
- Samsung DDR4 16 GB 2666 MHz ECC unbuffered (M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
- Two more 4 TB Ironwolf Pro drives
- Seasonic Focus Plus 650w Gold

Any thought on this config? How can I best utilize the SSDs for my use case, are there any benefits to adding more than one and running the OS of it? For some reason the motherboard is the cheapest Supermicro board that supports the i3-9100F I can get with 8 SATA slots in my country. Are there any benefit of having the non F version of the processor in this build?

John Doe

Guru
Hi Svorre,

I think CPU should fit your requirements.

I would propose to use one SSD as a boot medium and one SSD for the jails.
Freenas does not really benefit from a fast bootable device. after bootup is complete, everything is in the memory.

with the 6 HDDs, go for a raid z2 and you will be happy.

Seasonic PSU is great, I have one as well and I am very happy with it.

Maybe consider to give a bit more memory, freenas really benefits from tonns of RAM (for your setup I would use 32gb)

one more point, Plex can do hardware transcoding (for this you need to have plex pass). I am not too sure if that will work within a freenas jail and with the CPU. maybe double check this first. apparently the hardware transcoding does it much better.

just one last point, have you considered going with 2nd hand hardware? x10 supermicro board with a xenon CPU might be cheaper.

Svorre

Cadet
Thanks for the response! Alright, I'll add another stick of RAM for the server. Glad to hear I can get some use out of the SSDs, what exactly does this mean? "one SSD for the jails "

So maybe getting the i3 with a GPU might be worth it if Plex supports hardware transcoding? I have Plex pass.

I have tried to find something used, but the market for it doesn't seem to be very big in my country. At least from what I have found so far.

IQless

Contributor
So maybe getting the i3 with a GPU might be worth it if Plex supports hardware transcoding? I have Plex pass.

As of right now, hardware transcoding is not possible in FreeBSD(and therefore FreeNAS).
I think it's on the roadmap, but we won't see it for some time. You can ofc plan for the future and get a CPU with integrated graphics and hope it will come soon :)

Glad to hear I can get some use out of the SSDs, what exactly does this mean? "one SSD for the jails "
You can set up one of the SSD's as a pool, and place your jails on that. Default is to place the jails on the main pool. Moving them to an SSD will often make the jails a bit snappier :)

- Supermicro X11SCA
Consider going with a -F board, as the IPMI is awesome :P

CraigD

Patron
A single SSD as a boot drive is fine, be sure to backup your config

A single SSD Jail pool is a very bad idea, however you may benefit from a mirrored SSD Jail pool (If a drive dies your jails still work)

Have Fun

John Doe

Guru
ssd as boot medium is a good idea over long term, USB sticks usually fail over long time (years!) I assume it is because of the updates, you will do several writings over the time. an SSD can handle that much better.

SSD as a jail feels faster but I think the main benefit is to keep the HDD head in parking position. I could not manage to have jails running and to limit HDD access. so it produces continuesly noises.

up to you to create a mirrored pool for the jail. for me it is not so important to set up a plex jail again and let the database get structured over night, in case the single ssd fails. your mileage may vary.

regarding IPMI:
Ipmi is a nice feature and I like to have it. on the other hand, since there are so many problems reported with intels management engine, i would bet, there are plenty of security issues on ipmi as well.

If i would have a separate room for the server, i would just place a monitor and deactivate ipmi.

Svorre

Cadet
Based on the feedback I think I'll go with the following setup:

- Two PNY 120 GB SSD
- 120 GB m2 SSD
- 6 x 4TB Ironwolf Pro
- Fractal Define R5
- Intel Core i3-9100
- Supermicro X11SCA
- Samsung DDR4 2 X 16 GB 2666 MHz ECC unbuffered (M391A2K43BB1-CTD)

I have the SSDs which aren't in use anyway, so I might as well use them mirrored for the jails. The m2 drive will be for the OS. Changed to the standard i3 just in case I'll need the GPU at some point, the price difference was not that much. The F version of the board I was looking at doesn't appear to be available anywhere at the moment, but based on the feedback above it doesn't seem like it will be a huge drawback? I have no experience with FreeNAS or server features so this is all untested grounds for me. I see a monitor is mentioned, I wasn't really planning on having a monitor where the server is placed. Would that be for convenience, or is it necessary?

Thanks for all the help so far!

John Doe

Guru
ipmi is used to put e.g. .iso files into the bootloader like a bootable usb stick.
another feature is, that it can provide a virtual keyboard (maybe mouse as well) and virtual keyboard. so you can remotely control your server.
i think there are also some monitoring tools available, like temperatures fan speed etc.
supermicro ipmi

that is handy in case you quickly want to double check something.

a monitor is not required all the time.
but in case you dont have ipmi or dont want to use it, it is handy to have access to a second monitor and keyboard.

my statement above with a separate monitor is just because i am lazy and if I would have a house and a spare room for the server, i just would have it placed nearby to avoid carrying it around.

Svorre

Cadet
Aha, I see. That does seem handy. There is quite a long wait for the processor so maybe its worth seeing if an F board is possible to get a hold of.

Svorre

Cadet
Hi all,

Since there is a bit of a wait for a couple of the components quite a few decent used deals have showed up on Xeon processors. I'm considering changing to this setup:

- Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3
- Supermicro X10SRL-F

While the rest is the same (except from the m2 drive I guess I can't use with the X10SRL-F motherboard):

- Three PNY 120 GB SSD
- 6 x 4TB Ironwolf Pro
- Fractal Define R5
- Samsung DDR4 2 X 16 GB 2666 MHz ECC unbuffered (M391A2K43BB1-CTD)

I see the passmark score for the E5-2697 V3 is above 20k so it should be able to handle 4k transcoding, which is tempting. Any thought on going for an older platform like this? Any downsides?