BUILD First FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, this is going to be my first FreeNAS box build and I am totally new to FreeNAS. Really liking what I've been reading and seeing. I do currently have a Synology that I use for backups, and I plan to continue to use it for backups of important info, and may even move it offsite. Quick to the point, here's what I'm looking to utilize the box for:

File storage
Media storage
Backups
Plex media server
ROM storage/server?

I'm not really even sure what I'd be able to with the server in regards to emulators and ROMS, I know I'd at least be able to store the ROM files, but other than that I'm not too sure. I'm researching and trying to see what others have done and what they do as all of this is outside my area of expertise.

The list I have so far:
Case - Fractal Design R4
MOBO - ASRock C2750D4I
HDD - 5 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
SDD - Caching/transcoding, virtual machines, not too sure if it's terribly needed?
RAM - Kingston 32GB (4 x 8 GB) KVR16E11K4/32 (I believe is compatible with MOBO)
Power Supply - Corsair AX760 (too much?, I would much rather have more than enough however)

That's the list I have currently. I've read many people have run into problems with the Marvell controllers with the C2750D4I, but I don't plan on using that controller at all, since I would only need 6 SATA ports. If I did however need more, I could just get an additional controller to utilize correct?

Again, see above for uses, 2 plex streams being used at once would be max currently, but mostly just 1. Any help you can all provide is much appreciated. Learning as much as I can and looking forward to learning more and putting it all into practice!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
760 W is far too much, 450 W would be more than enough ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Nothing in the use case you present calls for an SSD, unless you were to install the OS to a small SSD (a small flash device is typically used--USB stick or SATA DOM--but a <= 30 GB SSD would work fine as well; anything larger would be a waste). SSDs for a read cache aren't called for unless you have at least 64 GB of RAM, and a write cache isn't helpful unless you're doing tons of sync writes.

Kingston RAM doesn't seem to be thought of very kindly here, but should work, assuming that's unbuffered ECC RAM in the correct form factor.

The Avotons are nice chips, but expensive. Last time I looked, you could get a nice board + Xeon for the same or less money. Not quite as low power consumption at idle, but considerably more grunt available when needed. Or step down to an i3 or even a Pentium G series if you don't need the grunt, and save a bit of money. Unless you really need the ITX form factor (which you shouldn't in that case), consider a different board/CPU.

SeaSonic power supplies seem to be the favorites around here, with Corsairs generally not looked at too kindly (though it no doubt depends on the series of Corsair involved).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There is nothing on the planet that offer you more grunt per dollar than a G3220 and an X10SLM.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There is nothing on the planet that offer you more grunt per dollar than a G3220 and an X10SLM.
And add to that a Crucial 16GB memory kit for $125 and you've got a core system for $370. That's less than the motherboard listed in the OP and a much more flexible, powerful option.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
G3220 and an X10SLM
G3220 and X10SLL+-F - you only lose SATA 6Gb/s on two of the ports, along with the back panel USB 3.0 ports.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As for the PSU, the AX 760 is an excellent unit (I have one of them), but it's overkill for the current scenario.
If you really, really want the best you can reasonably get, go for a Seasonic Platinum 650. It's the same platform (AX760s are rebadged Seasonic Platinum 760s), but at more logical power (slightly).
If you're okay with "very good", a Seasonic G-450 or G-550 will serve you well.

Ok, so going with the G3220 and either the X10SLM or X10SLL+-F sounds like a much more appealing build to me from a financial perspective. Why would I choose the X10SLL+-F over the X10SLM?

So I guess I don't really need the SSD for caching so that's nice.

I'm also looking at using 6 x either 4TB or 6TB drives for this build, should I go with the 32GB of RAM? or stick with 16GB? Since I'm looking for a lot of space, I'm thinking go big on the RAM rather than not big enough. @Ericloewe I'll be checking out that Supermicro X10 FAQ and Memory Recommendations page that I see there.

I'll also check out those Seasonic PSU's as well.

Thanks for the help and recommendations so far guys, this is great and really helping!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
X10SLM or X10SLL+-F sounds like a much more appealing build to me from a financial perspective. Why would I choose the X10SLL+-F over the X10SLM?
Careful: There's the X10SLL+-F, X10SLL-F, X10SLM+-F, X10SLM-F, along with other, less confusing models. They're all detailed in a thread you'll find in the X10 FAQ.

should I go with the 32GB of RAM? or stick with 16GB?
You can always start with 16GB and add more if you feel the need. With 6x 6TB, I might consider starting with 32GB, though.

Ok so this is an updated build list. My thinking with the X10SL7-F and the Xeon E3-1230V3 (now a E3-1231V3?) is because of PLEX and wanting to build for the future, as in ensure I have enough CPU power for multiple streams of transcoding. This is what I've come up with through reading the forums here. How does this look to you guys? I'm not terribly concerned with cost, but that is why I went with 6x WD RED 4TB drives instead of the 6TB.

upload_2015-9-23_10-35-38.png

The big question I have is because I'm really mainly concerned with PLEX transcoding, is the Xeon E3-1230 the best way to go? Or will the G3220 or i3-4330 serve me well? After reading through Cyberjocks guide it seems the best way to go will be the E3-1230.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The big question I have is because I'm really mainly concerned with PLEX transcoding, is the Xeon E3-1230 the best way to go? Or will the G3220 or i3-4330 serve me well? After reading through Cyberjocks guide it seems the best way to go will be the E3-1230.
Depends on the amount and quality of the streams. For light-to-moderate use, an i3 is generally acceptable.

Depends on the amount and quality of the streams. For light-to-moderate use, an i3 is generally acceptable.

Thanks for the help Ericloewe. I think I will stick with the above mentioned parts lists and use that build, assuming that it looks like a legitimate build. From what you guys have said in this thread and what others have said in other threads, I think this will be a good quality build.

I'm now starting the researching and homework phase of FreeNAS and ZFS and attempting to learn a good deal before I attempt to build it. I'm taking advice from you all and what I've read in many of Cyberjocks guides about learning before I make any mistakes.

Question about expandability for the future. More than likely I'd like to eventually have the rig above full with 8 drives (if possible). I'm using 6TB HGST drives. My first question is would my system above be OK to handle 8 x 6TB drives with 32GB RAM? 32 GB is the max that my MOBO can handle, and with the rule of thumb being 1 GB RAM per 1 TB storage, I wouldn't be able to add any more RAM. Would this be recommended? I would assume not but I want to see what your guys' thoughts are.

I ask because it will change how I initially set the system up. I would more than likely set it up 1 of 2 ways:

1) VDEV1 (5 x 6TB HGST drives in RAIDZ1) - no expansion (or 6 drives in RAIDZ1)

2) VDEV 1 (4 x 6TB HGST drives in RAIDZ1) + VDEV 2 (4 x 6TB HGST drives in RAIDZ1) - with VDEV 2 being added later

Is option 2 even recommended? I would assume not but again, wanted to ask.

The furthest I think I'd realistically go would be 6 x 6TB drives in RAIDZ1

mattbbpl

Patron
My first question is would my system above be OK to handle 8 x 6TB drives with 32GB RAM?
Yes, that should be fine. I and another more experienced user on here are running 60 TB (raw) on 32GB RAM, but that's about as far as I've heard people taking it. Conversely, I'm not running a bunch of VMs on it, so the load is lighter than what's possible.

With those size drives, I'd recommend using RaidZ2, personally. I'd place this as a priority over the other options you mentioned.

Last edited:

gpsguy

Ditto what mattbbpl said about using RAIDz2. I wouldn't even consider RAIDz1 with 6TB drives.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.