First FreeNAS Build - Looking for Approval/Improvements from the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keodye

Dabbler
Hello everyone! I just want to say that I am blown away with just how helpful and welcoming this community is. So, I decided to build my own FreeNAS Box instead of buying a consumer NAS. DIYing it is scary and awesome at the same time and since FreeNAS is new to me, I would like some feedback on my build. Criticism is the key to learning/improving.

MY BUILD: File Server/Storage w/Redundancy - RaidZ2/Plex Server - Multiple Streams 1080P

CPU: Xeon E3-1220 v6

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F-O

RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2400 ECC UDIMM

PSU: Corsair CX550M 550W 80+ Bronze

Boot Drive: Kingston A400 120GB SSD

HDD (x6): WD Red 4TB NAS HDD 5400RPM

Case: Corsair Carbide 100

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Keodye

Dabbler
@Chris Moore I gotta say, I've been all over this forum the past couple of weeks and you are always willing to help/suggest/guide posters who need it. Thanks!

I will have six NAS HDDs total. I had the PSU (less than a year old) and Corsair case laying around and it only fits four drives but I bought adapters for the 2 x 5.25" bays to house the other two NAS HDDs plus the boot SSD. I sooooooo badly want to buy a MORE suitable and FANCY looking case, LOL. But in order to get the wife onboard with me purchasing all the new hardware, I told her "but, babe I get to reuse the case and PSU!!" She heard that and gave me the evil eye with the go ahead for the purchases.

I plan to somehow bamboozle her in the near future for a new case, better PSU, and a mid range UPS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I had the PSU (less than a year old) and Corsair case laying around and it only fits four drives but I bought adapters for the 2 x 5.25" bays to house the other two NAS HDDs plus the boot SSD. I sooooooo badly want to buy a MORE suitable and FANCY looking case, LOL. But in order to get the wife onboard with me purchasing all the new hardware, I told her "but, babe I get to reuse the case and PSU!!" She heard that and gave me the evil eye with the go ahead for the purchases.
I got a good chuckle out of that. :)
I plan to somehow bamboozle her in the near future for a new case, better PSU, and a mid range UPS.
Sounds like a good plan, but you might want to give first priority to the UPS. You want to keep your data as safe as possible by not letting the system crash from a power fault.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
There are (were) links embedded in links embedded in other links, all the same. For future reference, it's easiest to just type the tags and paste the link:
[url=http://example.com]Link Text[/url]

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Oh, and I realized afterward that you can just post links without any tags and the forum will linkify them. Oops. :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you can get the link from NewEgg into this format:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117790
It works better for those of us that need to copy and paste because we can't just click the link. The forum adds some tracking code to the link that is blocked by the firewall where I work and I know that other people suffer the same problem, so it is sometime difficult to follow links.

Status
Not open for further replies.