SOLVED First FreeNAS Build ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplitz

Dabbler
Hi guys! I tried FreeBSD before but this is going to be my first FreeNAS build and theres some things that I don't know, I was hoping if you could point me to
the proper direction for my build :) I am going to use Intel G4400.

Does this motherboard support PCI Passthrough? And Can I run a Bhyve Hypervisor?
I know this forum greatly encourages users to use ECC Ram and the Brand Supermicro. But I was thinking of using the extra money for a UPS because Supermicro is kind of expensive.

Thank you!

Gigabyte LGA1151
GA-H170N-WIFI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CQ8D9Q/?tag=ozlp-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does this motherboard support PCI Passthrough?
No. You can't expect enterprise features from a crap consumer board (exceptions do exist).

Well, to be fair, it's not exactly crap. It's fairly standard mid-range consumer stuff, rather unspectacular. The chipset is going to be the limiting factor (ECC support aside).

The real crap would be something like a Biostar 50 bucks board with included CPU. Miracles don't exist, and if they did, I don't think they'd come from a factory in Shenzhen.

There's a reason only server (maybe workstation) boards are recommended. The target markets are completely different, with features to suit.

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
theres some things that I don't know, I was hoping if you could point me to
the proper direction for my build :) I am going to use Intel G4400.
Have a look at the hardware recommendations (it's in Resources tab) and the Cyberjocks newbie primer sticky. They will give you heaps of information to reevaluate the suggested build. (Links are in my signature too!)

Xplitz

Dabbler
Have a look at the hardware recommendations (it's in Resources tab) and the Cyberjocks newbie primer sticky. They will give you heaps of information to reevaluate the suggested build. (Links are in my signature too!)
Thank you Mr. Dice! Very Informative reply :) I will look onto that. Also I'm sorry Ericloewe if my post does not provide alot of Info or Specs to make you reply like that.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
That actually looks like a pretty nice board for what it is. However, it lacks some important features for use as a NAS, like ECC RAM support. Gigabyte does make some small socket 1150 or 1151 boards that do support ECC, like the X150M-PRO ECC, but in the micro ATX form factor. I have not tried one of those yet, but it's tempting. As far as mini-ITX, I'm not sure what's available that supports ECC other than Asrock. Supermicro makes some mini-ITX boards, but every time I dig through the specs it appears they do not support ECC.

melloa

Wizard
@Xplitz, was also looking on the board specs (11ac 867 Mbps dual band wireless connection + BLUETOOTH 4.2). As far as I know there is no WiFi support in FreeNAS as wouldn't make sense. When selecting your board, if not using one of the recommended mentioned on the guides, try to get one without those functions. It won't be used and only use more power from your power supply unnecessarily.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why bother spending more for a motherboard that has a bunch of stuff you can't use line wifi and audio. If your going to go cheap might as well go with the bottom of the barrel. If not get a motherboard with features you can use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Xplitz

Dabbler
That actually looks like a pretty nice board for what it is. However, it lacks some important features for use as a NAS, like ECC RAM support. Gigabyte does make some small socket 1150 or 1151 boards that do support ECC, like the X150M-PRO ECC, but in the micro ATX form factor. I have not tried one of those yet, but it's tempting. As far as mini-ITX, I'm not sure what's available that supports ECC other than Asrock. Supermicro makes some mini-ITX boards, but every time I dig through the specs it appears they do not support ECC.
Thank you wblock! I bookmarked the X150M-PRO ECC I will consider that in my next build using a rackmount case. Going to make a DIY Rackmount Rack by buying rails off ebay and using wood as the base, arc welding is too bothersome for me. :)

Xplitz

Dabbler
@Xplitz, was also looking on the board specs (11ac 867 Mbps dual band wireless connection + BLUETOOTH 4.2). As far as I know there is no WiFi support in FreeNAS as wouldn't make sense. When selecting your board, if not using one of the recommended mentioned on the guides, try to get one without those functions. It won't be used and only use more power from your power supply unnecessarily.
I chose the gigabyte motherboard because I was thinking "any" motherboard wouldn't last long in my ITX case so why not get a cheaper one and when the time comes replace it again. This is my case Chenbro SR301 I already have it, also it looks like I can fit in an extra HDD at the bottom of the case so I can do a Raidz3 setup. Any thoughts on motherboard reliability because of the temps of the case? It looks very cramped.. If that doesn't affect the reliability of the motherboard I am willing to spend on a Supermicro Motherobard even though it costs alot, Supermicro ITX motherboards tend to costs alot more than mATX counterparts.. I am eyeing on
Supermicro Atom C2758
I see it has ECC but a lot of users get into trouble finding the right ram that's compatible with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The mini-ITX boards that include that eight-core Atom are all relatively expensive, but they do come with a processor.

That case is pretty interesting. It uses a full-sized power supply and uses the large fan on it as an exhaust for the whole system. On the other hand, the preheated air that has already gone over the drives is what will go over the CPU heatsink.

I think it will probably be okay for four drives with a modular power supply to keep unneeded cables out of the way. An additional drive would not have any real airflow, which could be a problem. It seems a natural for a four-drive RAIDZ2.

Xplitz

Dabbler
The mini-ITX boards that include that eight-core Atom are all relatively expensive, but they do come with a processor.

That case is pretty interesting. It uses a full-sized power supply and uses the large fan on it as an exhaust for the whole system. On the other hand, the preheated air that has already gone over the drives is what will go over the CPU heatsink.

I think it will probably be okay for four drives with a modular power supply to keep unneeded cables out of the way. An additional drive would not have any real airflow, which could be a problem. It seems a natural for a four-drive RAIDZ2.
Thank you! I will go with the supermicro and update how well it goes with the 5th drive

Status
Not open for further replies.