First FreeNas Build - Getting my bases covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowdemon

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. I'm doing a whole re-do of my home lab infrastructure and have decided to implement FreeNas for the first time. I have literally ZERO experience with FreeNas, but I'm hoping I have lurked long enough to fully implement my grand plan to include FreeNas.

HARDWARE
My main FreeNas box will be a PowerEdge 510 12 bay with the internal 2.5" 2 drive slots (14 Total) and an H200 for HBA. Currently the box with have 32GB of RAM (Expanding is not out of the question but I'd like to hold off for now). CPU's are dual Xeon X5690 (overkill?) First off, this will mainly be doing iSCSI to my hyper-v cluster I will be implementing after this and all storage will be served off of a windows file server cluster to my home computers. All VM's will also be served via iSCSI. I also do not have 10GB Nics, but do have 4 1GB Nics so I figure this could ultimately be my bottleneck.

STORAGE
Storage setup goes as follows, 10 of the front bays will be populated by HDD's 8x2TB and 2x6TB all in two way mirror vdevs. One of the other bays will have a SSD for the FreeNas OS and the last front bay will have a SSD for hopefully caching ZIL or L2Arc *if it will help* (Samsung 860 Pro 256GB). The two internal bays will have in each slot a Samsung 860 Pro 512GB (Either 2 way mirror or striped). The two internal SSD's will be a separate zpool for my VM's and all other storage will be another zpool. I am hoping to use deduplication on my VM zpool but not my mass HDD storage, does the rule of thumb of 5GB RAM for each 1TB of duplicated data still follow? I'm hoping I should be fine for that. I think that's the whole setup.

If you have made it this far, you might be worried but don't fret this entire box will be backed up to another FreeNas system with a 12 disk Raidz3 and that is all it will do is backup this main box. Also both systems will run on a battery backup that will last about 20 minutes in a outage. Please let me know your thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.