BUILD First Build - Sense Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have been looking into my first FreeNAS build for a while now and am getting to the point where I think I have a sensible list of components, and I thought it might be best just to have it checked over! (thank you all so much for the guides, recommendations and write-ups!)

This build is primarily for media storage and running Plex Server duties, as well as data storage for the family. It’s all non-critical data and although it will act as a CrashPlan destination for the family, there are offline backups for all critical data held elsewhere.
For this reason I’ve tried to pick out a build that will last, and be reasonably capable with the option to expand in the future.
Having read through everything I could find I have changed out a few bits (sometimes multiple times), and moved away from the idea of doing this as cheaply as possible. There is a budget, but I want this to last so I don’t want to penny pinch where it might hurt later.

Proposed Build:

Board: Supermicro X10SL7-F
CPU: Intel Core i3 4130
Memory: Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 ECC 8GB (x2)
Boot Device: Kingspec 16GB SATA DOM
PSU: Seasonic G550
Storage: WD Red 2TB (x8) in RaidZ2
Chassis: Fractal Design R5

The drive choice will give me more storage than I need just now (with a slow fill rate) and then allow me to upgrade them in the future as a batch.

I’ve been circling about and changing parts when I realised something wouldn’t work, so any opinions, thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome! I have tried to pick all of the parts for various reasons, but just in case there is anything looking a little off I thought I’d put it out there before I order anything.

Thanks!

c32767a

Patron
You might want to take advantage of FreeNAS' ability to mirror it's boot device. It'll be simpler than having to deal with rebuilding your system if your boot device gets corrupted along the way.

Andy_

Cadet
You might want to take advantage of FreeNAS' ability to mirror it's boot device. It'll be simpler than having to deal with rebuilding your system if your boot device gets corrupted along the way.

Thats great, thanks for the tip, thats one area I'd not considered! Just reading up on it now.

TigerXtrm

Dabbler
For ECC to work, the motherboard, the CPU and the memory all have to support it. The processor you have picked doesn't support ECC, so the ECC memory you did sensibly pick will not do what you bought it for. Intel Xeon processors do support ECC and would be the better pick for this build. Other than that the build looks good to me.

Andy_

Cadet
For ECC to work, the motherboard, the CPU and the memory all have to support it. The processor you have picked doesn't support ECC, so the ECC memory you did sensibly pick will not do what you bought it for. Intel Xeon processors do support ECC and would be the better pick for this build. Other than that the build looks good to me.

Thanks for having a look through, much appreciated!

I chose that CPU as I'd thought it did support ECC :oops: I'd found it listed on another build, and the Hardware recommendations noted the 2nd &3rd gens as not supporting ECC. The one I was looking at (here) is a 4th Gen Haswell. Does that make any difference? Apologies for the ignorance here, picking the CPU has felt like the one I have understood least!

Andy_

Cadet
Thanks to everyone who has had a look over it! I'll start getting everything ordered in the next week and then on to the burn in and testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.