Filebrowser for root directory

f2003

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to TrueNAS. I have a hard drive that I would like to share with my TV receiver and my computers. In addition, I would like to install the Filebrowser app in TrueNAS. This should provide access to the shared hard drive. Unfortunately, I can't quite get this to work. I hope you can help:

I created a storage pool called NFS. I enabled sharing via NFS for that pool. I successfully mounted this share on my TV Receiver and stored a recording on this. No I want to install filebrowser.

I switch to the apps section and chose filebrowser to install. In the "Additional Storage" section I chose Typ "Host path". For "Host Path" I typed in "/mnt/NFS". Then I get that error I dont understand:

chart_release_create.filebrowserStorage.additionalStorages.0.hostPath: Invalid path /mnt/NFS. Mounting root dataset or path outside a pool is not allowed

asap2go

Patron
You created a pool called NFS.
Meaning mnt/NFS is the root dataset of the pool.
"Mounting root dataset or path outside a pool is not allowed"
Add another dataset below NFS.

f2003

Cadet
Thanks, I will try this at home later.

Another question came to my mind. I want to install filebrowser (and also other apps) on the host SSD that also runs the TrueNAS OS, so the HDD can go to sleep with the share. How do I set this up?

I would have to create a pool on the SSD for the apps and another pool for the storage. But then I would have to have access from the first pool to the second pool :-?

asap2go

Patron
Thanks, I will try this at home later.

Another question came to my mind. I want to install filebrowser (and also other apps) on the host SSD that also runs the TrueNAS OS, so the HDD can go to sleep with the share. How do I set this up?

I would have to create a pool on the SSD for the apps and another pool for the storage. But then I would have to have access from the first pool to the second pool :-?
I would advise against doing that.
Anything you do outside the GUI is unsupported and while it might work, it can break at any time.
Just use separate ssd(s) for apps.

Spinning down your HDDs causes more wear than letting them spin continuously so most drives don't even support these advanced power management modes anymore afaik.
And when they spin up and down you also might get errors in your pool if one spins up slower than the others.
You could try enabling it with the force option. But I have no idea if that'll work.

f2003

Cadet
I would advise against doing that.
Anything you do outside the GUI is unsupported and while it might work, it can break at any time.
Just use separate ssd(s) for apps.

What exactly would you advise against?

f2003

Cadet
Putting the Docker containers on the OS SSD? Not doing that would be wasted space. The SSD is 1TB and the system only uses a few GB. Or do I work better with partitions here (OS partition on SSD, Docker partition on same SSD)? I do not have another SSD.