File web server jail

Primož

Dabbler
Hi!

I've googled quite a bit but can't find any decent answers to at least point me towards a rabbit hole i can jump into regarding HTTP file servers.

What i'd like is to be able to give an HTTP link to someone that will cause said someone to have the linked file downloaded directly from my server. The file in question would of course be sourced from my FreeNAS server and served by my connection. I'd like to avoid e-mails, Dropboxes, WeTransfers and the like, as well as FTP (because people don't really understand those - a simple link works the best).

Running and configuring jails (with a half decent guide) is not an issue, i have a Plex plugin installed, i just setup ZNC this morning and i dabbled with Transmission, Deluge and qbittorrent in jails as well, but abandoned those from an unrelated reason.

I have a somewhat dynamic IP (it does change, but not very often) and i've got that part covered with a DDNS service.

So, the main question is, what should i run in a jail that will enable me to serve files via HTTP? I don't need my whole NAS accessible via the server, it can easily be a specific folder where i plonk the file i need linked (i suppose security wise that would be much better).

Maybe, down the line, an image uploading and sharing service might also not be bad (to share images in forum posts and the like - the ability to integrated into ShareX as a point to upload images to would be nice), but is not crucial, at least not at this point.

danb35

Hall of Famer
to share images in forum posts
Simply paste them into the post; there's no reason to use external image hosting, and it's consequently discouraged.

danb35

Hall of Famer
that doesn't work with all forums.
No, it doesn't. However, it does work in this forum, and the forum rules say so and encourage you to do so--and discourage external hosting, as I'd posted above.