Fibre channel LUN mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokra

Cadet
Hi!

My first post...

I've been reading up on different posts discussing fibre channel target implementation in FreeNAS, and there seem to be working to connect via an initiator to a target on FreeNAS.

Though, what seems to be missing, is the(cruzial) ability to map the specific LU to the initiator that should see it, and of coarse then, hide them from the the rest of the initiators.

In the anouncements forum I saw this discussion, but there were only one poster that understood the concept of LUN mapping, the rest of the posters couldn't understand what he was talking about.

So I ask on this forum instead, where there hopefully are some developers dwelling, who got insight in what have been developed or not for this matter.

So, Regards from me for a very nice project and software!

Johan

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi!

My first post...

I've been reading up on different posts discussing fibre channel target implementation in FreeNAS, and there seem to be working to connect via an initiator to a target on FreeNAS.

Though, what seems to be missing, is the(cruzial) ability to map the specific LU to the initiator that should see it, and of coarse then, hide them from the the rest of the initiators.

In the anouncements forum I saw this discussion, but there were only one poster that understood the concept of LUN mapping, the rest of the posters couldn't understand what he was talking about.

So I ask on this forum instead, where there hopefully are some developers dwelling, who got insight in what have been developed or not for this matter.

So, Regards from me for a very nice project and software!

Johan
I don't think developers lurk on the forums. If you want to make a feature request go to bugs.freenas.org.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We periodically see jpaetzel pop in and (IMO) treat the forum as a write-only medium, and of course jkh makes the occasional appearance, but for the most part I don't see much developer presence here.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
There is no plans to implement FC LUN mapping. At this point FC target support is mostly a free side effect of the new iSCSI target implementation.

techknight1

Cadet
It's 2018 and the developers don't care about LUN maping/Masking. This is something that is reserved for truenas. It is a lot like openfiler. If you want it, your going to pay for it.

This is typical for opensource software that uses, and I do mean uses a community to develop its software off of. We should all be thankful for what hobbled software they do offer us to tinker with, after all it is their software based on hard community and opensource work. They will only share what they legally think they have to.

This is the love/hate relationship that has become opensource. You see it really isn't open or free like they would lead you to believe. It is open and free up to the point at which they no longer feel obligated to share.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's 2018 and the developers don't care about LUN maping/Masking.
It's 2019 and users don't care about FC in significant numbers. If you do, clearly you've found TrueNAS.

FreeNAS being open-source does not legitimate a rant about some features being reserved for a commercial offering, much less by reviving an ancient thread. Nobody here tricked you into buying FC under the pretense that it would be sunshine and rainbows (if they did, feel free to report it so it can be looked into).

So, if you have a problem with FreeNAS, fork it and spare us the pointless rant. That is the point of open source, not "gimme everything for free".

Status
Not open for further replies.