FFMpeg on TrueNAS Scale

g33kphr33k

Cadet
Hi folks

We've been using TrueNAS Scale for awhile now on a Gigabyte NAS and it's been great. It's a really over powered box and I'd like to utilise it a little more with a video encode script so I don't have to pull the videos across the network and back.

How would I go about installing ffmpeg from the repos on it? I know it's to be treated as an appliance, so I don't want to fiddle with it too much, but ffmpeg as a standalone should do no harm.

Any tips would be great, else I think I can grab a portable pre-compiled from somewhere or a straight up .deb.

Thanks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The best way to do that is in a container, not on the host at all.

something like this perhaps... https://github.com/alfg/ffmpeg-commander

You just need to run the already compiled version from the Launch Docker Image button

kiuber/ffmpeg-commander​

then specify the port mapping you need (map to container port 80) and map some storage in there for your videos (thinking about permissions of course, so maybe also run the container as a user with the rights rather than defaults).

You need to connect to it with http://TrueNAS_IP:Port_you_forwarded/ffmpeg-commander once it's running.

An already running sample so you can see if it meets your needs first:

EDIT: Although, after looking into it to the last step, I now see it doesn't give you the chance to actually execute the command you build... what a stupid pile of crap for not offering that.

Anyway, something else will be needed... I do see something promising though... a reference on the options page to enabling ffmpegd...

Looks like running ghcr.io/alfg/ffmpegd instead and redirecting port 8080 is the way to go...

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
ffmpeg as a standalone should do no harm.

You can think that if you like, but the issue is that as you start to install libraries and have to twiddle with things to make it work, you run a real risk of breaking other stuff. Worse, when you upgrade the system, your changes will get flushed down the toilet like a bowl full of diarrhea and you'll have to start over with making your changes, which may not be particularly fun or desirable. This is why containers exist.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, well forget everything in my post above, because it's super-close to what's needed, but not there to the end.

I think to get there, you would need a container with xorg, a browser and ffmpegd installed to auto-start, then from the x11 session, run the browser, and browse to the sample ffmpeg-commander site... it would then allow you to attach to the local ffmpegd in the container and issue commands.

I might, just as a challenge build such a container, but I don't have the time right away. If your container skills are good enough, maybe you can get there on your own.

g33kphr33k

Cadet
Thanks folks, but what I just read just makes me think simply mounting from another box is the way to go, it's far simpler. I'll take the network hit instead

danb35

Hall of Famer
This sounds like it could be a good application for a so-called "Linux jail":

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
This sounds like it could be a good application for a so-called "Linux jail":
I agree and had been thinking about that overnight.

It's the best and lightest solution to get access to files on the NAS and run processes "on the host", but not on the host OS.

apt-get packages are fine in the "jail".

Whattteva

Wizard
OK, well forget everything in my post above, because it's super-close to what's needed, but not there to the end.

I think to get there, you would need a container with xorg, a browser and ffmpegd installed to auto-start, then from the x11 session, run the browser, and browse to the sample ffmpeg-commander site... it would then allow you to attach to the local ffmpegd in the container and issue commands.

I might, just as a challenge build such a container, but I don't have the time right away. If your container skills are good enough, maybe you can get there on your own.
X11 in a jail is tricky due to jail having limited rights. You could use tigervnc server to emulate an X11 session, but IIRC, you can't do a normal local X11 session because you can't run startx in the jail. I think, the other permission issue is also that, by default, you can't mount /proc which is needed for most window managers.

sretalla