Feedback SAN building

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikotte

Explorer
Hi,

Are I building my SAN and wondering if there is anything I would need for it to get better?

CPU: X2 Xeon E5-2680V1
Ram: 256GB M393B2G70QH0-YK0
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRH-7TF
Chassis: Supermicro 846BE16-R920B (Am not sure)
Control card: LSI sas 9300-16i (Waiting for package) (Will buy one for later)
HDD: X6 WD Gold 6TB (Will buy several late) (Goal x24)
SSD boot: X2 Samsung SM863 120GB
Network card: Supermicro AOC-SGP-I4 (Will buy better later)

Should you run Raid 10 it will be okay raidz2 on FreeNAS?

I've bought everything that says there are some things I'm waiting for and the cables I'm waiting for.

My English is not good.

What is your use case?

Dual processors? If you're just using this for file storage, I can't imagine a load that would require more than one processor.

The WD Gold drives seem extravagant. I'd buy WD Red. If you're concerned with performance, take what you've saved by buying Reds and add RAM.

Of course, if you're concerned about performance, you'd be doing a striped mirror instead of Z2. So maybe you can get away with just Reds?

You're buying 6G drives. Do you need a 12G controller? Especially since that enclosure only has a 6G backplane? That motherboard has 16 ports anyway. You probably won't need a secondary controller for some time. You're right not to buy it right away. They'll only come down in price.

The motherboard has two 10G NICs. Do you really need additional gig NICs?

Cheers,
Matt

kikotte

Explorer
What is your use case?

Dual processors? If you're just using this for file storage, I can't imagine a load that would require more than one processor.

The WD Gold drives seem extravagant. I'd buy WD Red. If you're concerned with performance, take what you've saved by buying Reds and add RAM.

Of course, if you're concerned about performance, you'd be doing a striped mirror instead of Z2. So maybe you can get away with just Reds?

You're buying 6G drives. Do you need a 12G controller? Especially since that enclosure only has a 6G backplane? That motherboard has 16 ports anyway. You probably won't need a secondary controller for some time. You're right not to buy it right away. They'll only come down in price.

The motherboard has two 10G NICs. Do you really need additional gig NICs?

Cheers,
Matt

Will drive to my ESXI server.

I have already bought it now I'm just waiting for the HBA card and some cable.

Do you think my FreeNAS server is going to be good or do I need to buy something more?

Edit:

Raid 10 and mirror are the same?

I already own a switch but I only use it for the internet so I thought I only pull cable between FreeNAS and ESXI server without any switch at the beginning because I'll buy a switch later.

Bought the best HBA card I could get when I looked at FreeNAS lists of which HBA cards are good, so I chose this.

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
Looks more like overkill, unless you plan on running a lot of VMs.

and you still haven't answered any of @MatthewSteinhoff 's questions.

kikotte

Explorer
Looks more like overkill, unless you plan on running a lot of VMs.

and you still haven't answered any of @MatthewSteinhoff 's questions.

I will have it for my ESXI server and will be secure over 50's of vm server.

I forgot to answer those questions when I deal with other things.

RAID10 and mirrored stripe are pretty much the same.

Dual processors still seems excessive. I'd go single processor and take the savings to buy more RAM. Or SSDs for the VMs.

It really depends on the activity level of the VMs and required performance. If you have 50 VMs sitting pretty much idle then what you have is fine. If your data sets are relatively small and active files can sit in the FreeNAS ARC, you're fine.

If you have large data sets, active VMs moving around a lot of data, it may not be enough. But, long before you run out of processing power, you're problem is going to be IOPS not CPU, not disk bandwidth and probably not network bandwidth.

With 50 VMs, RAID Z2 won't work. Too few IOPS. You're going to need a stripe of mirrors to get anywhere close to the IOPS you need. I'm not sure three spindles equivalent is ample. You may require more disks to start or SSDs. You can get by with fewer SSDs than you can physical disks because they have far more IOPS than conventional disks. So, if your data size is small enough, SSDs are the way to go.

Cheers,
Matt

kikotte

Explorer
RAID10 and mirrored stripe are pretty much the same.

Dual processors still seems excessive. I'd go single processor and take the savings to buy more RAM. Or SSDs for the VMs.

It really depends on the activity level of the VMs and required performance. If you have 50 VMs sitting pretty much idle then what you have is fine. If your data sets are relatively small and active files can sit in the FreeNAS ARC, you're fine.

If you have large data sets, active VMs moving around a lot of data, it may not be enough. But, long before you run out of processing power, you're problem is going to be IOPS not CPU, not disk bandwidth and probably not network bandwidth.

With 50 VMs, RAID Z2 won't work. Too few IOPS. You're going to need a stripe of mirrors to get anywhere close to the IOPS you need. I'm not sure three spindles equivalent is ample. You may require more disks to start or SSDs. You can get by with fewer SSDs than you can physical disks because they have far more IOPS than conventional disks. So, if your data size is small enough, SSDs are the way to go.

Cheers,
Matt

I do not find anything about how much power the system would need, so I bought two cpu to make sure it got all the power it needed.

I will get more hard drives I will have 24 pcs in striped mirrors what do you think about it?

I am aware that IO will have problems with IOPS, but I do not know how much it will work for it to work well.

To get SSD farther but when they cost a lot, I thought to build HDD this position until prices get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.