Feature Suggestion: SMBSTATUS

Pierce

Explorer
It would be very cool to have a smbstatus display somewhere on the FreeNAS UI, since a large percentrage of FreeNAS use cases are primarily SMB based. This would be particularlly useful for identifying sessions that are mistakenly authenticating as guest, or another 'wrong' user.

At the shell, smbstatus(1) displays sessions, open shares, and file locks as three tables. Ideally, these could be 'nested' in a tree display, so each session can be expanded to show the open shares under it, and each share could be expanded to show the file locks under it (because file locks can get huge on a large/busy NAS with a lot of users).

for bonus points, have a 'close' button next to each session so you can force that session to terminate, so you can reauthenticate as another user from the client (I've had to do this numerous times while troubleshooting smb issues).

I suppose this status display could be added to Sharing -> SMB via a tool button to open the smbstatus display... or maybe a summary panel on the main dashboard, that has a button to expand to the full smbstatus display ? I'd imagine this full display could be refreshed every 10 or 20 seconds to make it a semi-realtime thing.

Also would be cool to have something similar for nfs, but I'm not sure nfsstat or showmount are sufficiently useful, in particular showmount often doesn't show NFSv4 sessions.

ddrucker

Dabbler
What ever became of this? I'd love to see a GUI-ish presentation of SMB status - shares in use, file locks, etc.