CIFS Server Sessions display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce

Explorer
I can't seem to find any way to see the list of what SMB/CIFS Sessions are open on the FreeNAS SMB/CIFS server. This is very useful for debugging authentication issues. Windows systems provide such a list in Computer Management->Shared Folders->Sessions... Samba SWAT has a similar display. Ideally, this list should have an option to close/terminate a selected session.

Run smbstatus at the command line. You will have to be root to do so.

The only way I know to do it from the Web UI would be to click on "Shell" on the left hand side of the Web UI. Then type in smbstatus at the command prompt. You wouldn't have to ssh into the box then.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You can also use 'computer management' as you would on a windows client. Works great on my ad member server and even allows closing individual files.

nick779

Contributor
You can also use 'computer management' as you would on a windows client. Works great on my ad member server and even allows closing individual files.

This just blew my mind.

When trying to look at the sessions I got a permissions error. Is that a non working feature, or do I need to change permissions somewhere?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This just blew my mind.

When trying to look at the sessions I got a permissions error. Is that a non working feature, or do I need to change permissions somewhere?
You have to assign the correct rights for your user via "net rpc" command on the FreeNAS server. You can see a list of available rights by typing "net rpc rights list".

For me, computer management works when authenticated as a domain admin. I have not fiddled with stand-alone servers to figure out the exact rights needed to manage through computer management.

Status
Not open for further replies.