FC target support in FreeNAS 9.1.0

aran kaspar

Explorer
Holy crap. Maybe I need to reinstall.

Mine doesn't show any devices unless I have a free un-formatted drive
This is a bit off-topic but if I reinstall freeNAS on the thumb drive... Do I loose my jails or are those entirely on the zvol itself? I.e. No associations, strings or ties with the FreeNAS flash drive installation?

Ellusionist

Dabbler
I would back up your config.

Great job o the above. I have been looking for this for a long time. Wonder if we could get this as a sticky on the forum or have it added in the documentation?

Cheers!

Ellusionist

Dabbler
Aran,

Great job on breaking this all out and documenting this. Question regarding the "target mode." In 9.3 STABLE releases the ispfw_lad is set in the loader.conf by default, ctl_load is not. Shouldn't matter thought.

Does anyone know what the values of (Target, Initiator, Both) is? Some information out there is conflicting out on the baords and it looks like you have it nailed down here.

For the follow, what are the possible values?
hint.isp.0.role

Target = 0
Initiator = 1
Both = 2

or

None = 0
Target = 1
Initiator = 2
Both = 3

--------------------------------------

For the
  • ctladm port -o on -t fc
We could do a post script to execute after...

Ellusionist

Dabbler
How did you select the dashes? Looks like when you pick the ----- it will default to 0.0.0.0. I believe this force ISCSI for all able interfaces.

sashawad2

Dabbler
Hey there.

Does can`t dobitsya link to FC.
If you connect two port card - then the link lights when on the second server to connect two port card that link too light.
But as soon as I connect two servers - the link does not appear ...

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
hint.isp.0.role
None = 0
Target = 1
Initiator = 2
Both = 3
These are correct. The idea for target is to set it to None during boot to not confuse initiator while target is configured, but then switch ports to Target mode with 'ctladm port -o on -t fc'.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Does can`t dobitsya link to FC.
If you connect two port card - then the link lights when on the second server to connect two port card that link too light.
But as soon as I connect two servers - the link does not appear ...

I suppose you missed some step, like enabling ports. It would help if you described your actions.

aran kaspar

Explorer
How did you select the dashes? Looks like when you pick the ----- it will default to 0.0.0.0. I believe this force ISCSI for all able interfaces.
I believe it is actually the default 0.0.0.0 (you are corrrect) not the dashes.
I will edit my post now. Thanks!

aran kaspar

Explorer
Aran,

Great job on breaking this all out and documenting this. Question regarding the "target mode." In 9.3 STABLE releases the ispfw_lad is set in the loader.conf by default, ctl_load is not. Shouldn't matter thought.

Does anyone know what the values of (Target, Initiator, Both) is? Some information out there is conflicting out on the baords and it looks like you have it nailed down here.

hint.isp.0.role

Target = 0
Initiator = 1
Both = 2
or
None = 0
Target = 1
Initiator = 2
Both = 3

--------------------------------------

For the
  • ctladm port -o on -t fc
We could do a post script to execute after...
=================================================================================================================================================
=================================================================================================================================================
I know, it's all conflicting everywhere... I can say that I have it working as a target with my config... not sure if that is "Target" or "Both" but it works.
Attached screenshot is the ctladm command or script (not sure which) but it works. No manual -anything-... on reboot.
Capture.jpg

aran kaspar

Explorer
I would back up your config.

Great job o the above. I have been looking for this for a long time. Wonder if we could get this as a sticky on the forum or have it added in the documentation?

Cheers!
Would love to get this up on the forum as it's own guide. Unfortunately can't post it myself.

dcplaya

Cadet
Has anyone been able to get this working with Proxmox? I am not sure how to set it up. I think (i hope) have the FreeNAS side set up correctly.

aran kaspar

Explorer
Has anyone been able to get this working with Proxmox? I am not sure how to set it up. I think (i hope) have the FreeNAS side set up correctly.
Be more specific.
What is it, for people who don't know?
What exactly are you trying to do with it?
Is this fiber related?

dcplaya

Cadet
Be more specific.
What is it, for people who don't know?
What exactly are you trying to do with it?
Is this fiber related?

Sorry, I made the post in a rush

I have a Proxmox host connected with my FreeNAS via ethernet currently. All shares of NFS (90% of them are actually local to Proxmox). I want to switch over my VMs to be stored on FreeNAS using the FC. I followed the directions on page 2 of this thread, which I believe (I could be wrong) makes FreeNAS share iSCSI but over FC instead of IP. When I try to add a iSCSI to Proxmox, it only allows an IP to be entered as the iSCSI host (portal) and the target is auto-populated (see picture of options). I do not know how (or even if possible) to get this working with Proxmox hypervisor.

Ch9zVZm.png

aran kaspar

Explorer
Not a clue man. Sorry.
I've never used it.
What I can tell you is that If you have your HBA drivers installed on ESXi, it recognizes the card in storage adapters.

When you go to add storage it doesn't technically use iSCSI initiator...

The LUN from the target just shows up as a big disk. Much like if you had just plugged in a giant SATA drive on-board. It's very very similar.

Best of luck.
I would consider the switch to ESXi...
Runs the thinnest hypervisor usually consuming around 16mb and marginal CPU on top of UNIX...
built like a tank and 100% free by the way.

Last edited:

dcplaya

Cadet
Not a clue man. Sorry.
I've never used it.
What I can tell you is that If you have your HBA drivers installed on ESXi, it recognizes the card in storage adapters.

When you go to add storage it doesn't technically use iSCSI initiator...

The LUN from the target just shows up as a big disk. Much like if you had just plugged in a giant SATA drive on-board. It's very very similar.

Best of luck.
I would consider the switch to ESXi...
Runs the thinnest hypervisor usually consuming around 16mb and marginal CPU on top of UNIX...
built like a tank and 100% free by the way.

The only downside is that there is no free web GUI. And the GUI that isn't free is terribly sluggish. I tried out a bunch of hypervisors before I picked Proxmox

aran kaspar

Explorer
The only downside is that there is no free web GUI. And the GUI that isn't free is terribly sluggish. I tried out a bunch of hypervisors before I picked Proxmox
I would drop a super slim Linux mint VM on top and install vsphere client there, remote into it for convenience. Mainly using a physical desktop on LAN for major config and changes.

dcplaya

Cadet
Turned out Proxmox is just as easy. I had my HBA configured wrong. As soon as I went through all the steps again, Proxmox now sees my test FC store.

Strange thing though, Proxmox sees two 500GB drives. I only did 1 file extent but have 2 fibres going between the two. Is it actually seeing the same thing?

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Proxmox sees two 500GB drives. I only did 1 file extent but have 2 fibres going between the two. Is it actually seeing the same thing?
Quite likely. You should search for multipath SCSI support in that Proxmox thing.