Faulty USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_

Cadet
I bought two identical USB sticks for my NAS and installed FreeNAS 9.3 on both of them.
I am booting my NAS daily because it does not run 24/7 and I often had a degraded boot mirror. That made me think that something may not be right. I scrubbed the drive and everything was ok though, but now I have the following error:
Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
The status shows me da1p2 with Checksum 87 and da0p2 with Checksum 0. Both are Online, every other values are 0. So is the second USB stick the faulty one because it is non-zero? And how can the drive be online with an unrecoverable error?
Is this just bad luck or are there some hardened, safe, ECC-style USB drives for something like my NAS? I did not find something like this, but it doesn' t make sense to spend a large amount of money for good components and end up with some crappy USB sticks. They were not the cheapest though, so I expected more than two months of life.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this just bad luck or are there some hardened, safe, ECC-style USB drives for something like my NAS? I did not find something like this, but it doesn' t make sense to spend a large amount of money for good components and end up with some crappy USB sticks. They were not the cheapest though, so I expected more than two months of life.

We call them "hard drives" over here.

Seriously, though, USB flash drives are generally crappy. If you can, try another one. If that one works better, use the bad one for unimportant stuff. Give it away instead of a DVD or two next time you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.