Failover/Load Balancing beween two IPS internet providers

Me Here

Cadet
I am trying to add an internet proxy/gateway with fail/load balancing between my 2 internet providers to add redundancy while working from home.

I tried teaming my NICs but I can only assign one default gateway (see attach Net Summary). I am going about it the wrong way? Would I setup a router with a plugin or a jail.

Any suggestions, links or examples would be appreciated.

MS

Attachments

• NetworkSummary.png
    NetworkSummary.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 144

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can only assign one default gateway
You can't have more than one default gateway, otherwise it wouldn't be a "default".
Would I setup a router with a plugin or a jail.
I don't know of a good way to set up a router in a jail (and plugins are jails). If you were going to run it on your TrueNAS box at all (which I'd discourage), the only semi-good way I know of would be in a VM. pfSense and OPNsense both handle multi-WAN well, though I don't know how well TrueNAS' bhyve implementation deals with multiple NICs assigned to a VM (you'd need at least three for this to work).

But, though I virtualize a lot of my infrastructure, I really favor having dedicated hardware for my edge device.

Me Here

Cadet
I do have a router for each internet providers. One is a cable modem while the other is a DSL modem to ensure proper redundancy. I know that putting a router or managed switch in from the modems would do the trick for my two networks but I am not sure how to configure the TrueNAS network to access the plugings (LAMP & Emby) and my share drives from both LAN.

I understand your comment about having one default gateway but only if I had only one NIC. Since I have 2 NICs on different network (192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x), I do not understand why TrueNAS does not let configure them individually with their own gateway (192.168.0.1 for the first one and 192.168.1.1 for the second one) like with Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.

I know how to do it on FreeNAS but I am afraid to break true NAS in the process if I configure it at the command line.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.