Failing to snapshot specific VM on VMWare datastore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Hello,

I have an issue with a VMWare snaphot producing constant errors for a single VM which is hosted on a iSCSI zvol on my FreeNAS.

"The following VM failed to snapshot mypool/iscsi@auto-20160414.1800-2w:
[iscsi] ELK/ELK.vmx"

I can do snapshots from the VM on the ESXI system without any errors. When try to do a manual snapshot from my FreeNAS system I can see on the ESXI host that the snaphot is made successfully on another VM but fails on the other with the following output:

Traceback:
Code:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  105.                     response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  156.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  22.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/views.py" in manualsnap
  715.             form.commit(fs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in commit
  1865.                     vm1.create_snapshot(vmsnapname, description=vmsnapdescription, memory=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pysphere/vi_virtual_machine.py" in create_snapshot
  889.                                       FaultTypes.TASK_ERROR)

Exception Type: VIException at /storage/snapshot/create/mypool/iscsi/
Exception Value: [Task Error]: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine.

What can I do?

Specs

FreeNAS
FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604111739
16GB RAM
HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver
4x 4TB WD Red in stripped mirrors

ESXI
ESXI 6.0.6 u2 (Build 3620759)
Macmini6,2
16GB RAM

VM
FreeBSD (64Bit) 10.3
VM-Version 8
1GB RAM
VMWare Tools 10246

D

dlavigne

Those errors should have been fixed by https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6873, though the dev did note that further work is needed. If you decide to create another bug report at bugs.freenas.org, mention that one in it and post the new bug # here.

Status
Not open for further replies.