failing drive, how to tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

creepwood

Explorer
I'm getting status mails every morning from my NAS, and since I'm not from tne *nix world I'm not understanding all of it. My biggest conern is that a drive is starting to fail and I won't know. How will I know?

The mail I'm getting contains this, what is what?

Code:
Removing stale files from /var/preserve:

Cleaning out old system announcements:

Backup passwd and group files:

Verifying group file syntax:
/etc/group is fine

Disk status:
Filesystem             Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a    927M    422M    431M    49%    /
devfs                  1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md0               4.4M    2.4M    1.6M    60%    /etc
/dev/md1               686K    8.0K    624K     1%    /mnt
/dev/md2                75M     16M     53M    23%    /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4      20M    1.0M     17M     5%    /data
panda                  5.3T    2.8T    2.5T    53%    /mnt/panda

Last dump(s) done (Dump '>' file systems):

Checking status of zfs pools:
all pools are healthy

Checking status of ATA raid partitions:

Checking status of gmirror(8) devices:

Checking status of graid3(8) devices:

Checking status of gstripe(8) devices:

Network interface status:
Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs Idrop    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
re0    1500 <Link#1>      00:19:db:b3:4e:94 394811953     0     0 665720176     0     0
re0    1500 192.168.0.0   192.168.0.100     394582601     -     - 665704430     -     -
lo0   16384 <Link#2>                          231820     0     0   231820     0     0
lo0   16384 fe80:2::1     fe80:2::1                0     -     -        0     -     -
lo0   16384 localhost     ::1                      0     -     -        0     -     -
lo0   16384 your-net      localhost           231774     -     -   231820     -     -

Security check:
    (output mailed separately)

Checking for denied zone transfers (AXFR and IXFR):

Scrubbing of zfs pools:
   skipping scrubbing of pool 'panda':
      last scrubbing is 17 days ago, threshold is set to 30 days

Checking status of 3ware RAID controllers:
Alarms (most recent first):
  No new alarms.

-- End of daily output --

ProtoSD

MVP
Disk status:

This section just tells you how much space is used on your different system partitions, anything close to 100% is not good, except the /dev partition. Your partition with all your files is on the last line that ends with '/mnt/panda'

Status of Pools, if it doesn't say 'healthy', then start asking more questions here quickly!

Network interface, if you got the email, then there's probably not much to worry about, your network is working.

Security check will tell you if something or someone is altering permissions that maybe shouldn't be.

Scrubbing of pools, well if your pool is dirty then you shouldn't swim in it.... (joking...)

The system will scrub your pool (disk array) automatically once a month if you don't, it's just verifying data/parity/checksums to make sure your data isn't corrupt.

Raid controllers:

I guess if you have a supported Raid controller and it is having some type of issue, you see a warning here.

That's just the quick version. If there's something more specific you want to know about, post back.

creepwood

Explorer
@protosd: Wow thank you. I appreciate the quick guide to the status mail.

One more question, if I don't get the mail (as in the case where my router was not functioning alright) is there a way to see this status anyway somewhere else?

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm not sure how the emails get generated or if a log is kept. You can run some of the commands from the command line if you know how to do that. (either from the console, or with ssh)

The first one is 'df' (all of the examples are without the quotes)

Then there is 'zpool status -v' to check your pools.

For the network status I'm not sure of the exact options they're using to get that output, but you can try:
'ifconfig -a'

The security check is a script, I'm not sure what it checks exactly.

I'm not sure how they check the raid controllers

Darkaine

Explorer
I personally think this should be in the GUI as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.