Failed to discover Active Directory Domain Controller for domain. This may indicate a DNS misconfiguration

Rexo

Cadet
Currently getting this error when I try and join the domain
Failed to discover Active Directory Domain Controller for domain. This may indicate a DNS misconfiguration
I have checked to make sure the times where correct, other computers have had no issue joining and does not seem to be a DNS issue, any thought on what I could of missed?
I am on Truenas scale
First post, still learning :P

Rexo

Cadet
Forgot to add, the version is TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1. Other computers are able to see the DC and join with no issues, its just the truenas. Not sure if im missing something. Nameserver pointed to DNS server. any ideas?

Nick2253

Wizard
Do you have DNS server configured on your TrueNAS system? From the command line, can you ping your domain controller?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This typically indicates a CLDAP ping failure or failure to look up SRV records related to domain (simple ping may succeed). Generally DNS should be an AD domain controller and no other non-AD nameservers should be present in NAS configuration.

Rexo

Cadet
Do you have DNS server configured on your TrueNAS system? From the command line, can you ping your domain controller?
when I try to ping the AD, "Server cant be found", or if by the ip, it just hangs/would start to ping the Truenas static ip, the box has its own static ip.

Rexo

Cadet
when I try to ping the AD, "Server cant be found", or if by the ip, it just hangs/would start to ping the Truenas static ip, the box has its own static ip.
or it timeouts with 100% packet loss

Rexo

Cadet
This typically indicates a CLDAP ping failure or failure to look up SRV records related to domain (simple ping may succeed). Generally DNS should be an AD domain controller and no other non-AD nameservers should be present in NAS configuration.
Cant ping the server, or the .local Domain. tried everything from new static. Nothing so far. exact error is "Failed to discover Active Directory Domain Controller for domain. This may indicate a DNS misconfiguration."

Rexo

Cadet
Cant ping the server, or the .local Domain. tried everything from new static. Nothing so far. exact error is "Failed to discover Active Directory Domain Controller for domain. This may indicate a DNS misconfiguration."
ping XXX.local: name or service not known
Ping 192.168.x.x works sometimes then other times it does not. Currently the ip can be pinged