SOLVED External FTP access doesn't work

matclou

Dabbler
Dear Community,

I recently tried to configure an external access to my FreeNAS system (11.3) via FTP, but I had some problems.

I have taken the following steps:

1. Activate FTP on my local FreeNAS system with Port 21 (deactivatet root and anonymous login, activated local users login).

2. Tried to reach the local FTP server via ftp://freenas.local:21/ - it worked.

3. I have registered on noip.com for a Dynamic DNS, i received an URL and it is identical with my external IP adress - I checked It via command promt / ping.

4. I configured an external port (TCP, not UDP) via my router (a Speedport W 724V from Deusche Telekom, it's manufactured by Sercomm) and redirected it to the FreeNAS, Port 21.

1582422412125.png

5. I checked the external port via https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and it is open.

6. However, if I try to conncet to my external ftp adress (which would be ftp://[EXTERNALURL]:55325/ the URL can't be reached.

Do you have any solutions for this situation? Can I only test it outside my network?

Kind regards

Matclou

PS: This isn't an hardware issue, but you can find my configuration here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...e-booting-new-installation.82301/#post-569575

Kcaj

Contributor
Are you forwarding port 21 to the correct internal IP? From the image in step 4 what is “freenas”, a hostname?

Edit: You must have also setup a task which keeps you DNS updated correct? Double check its still valid...

Last edited:

matclou

Dabbler
Freenas is the the NAS device in my home network. So the external port is 55325 and the internal port is 21 (at the NAS).

But I think it has something to do with the fact that you can't call an external address within the home network that references the home network again. Is that possible?

Kcaj

Contributor
I don't understand what you mean...

The firewall needs to know where to forward port 21 to, from step 4 can you change that to an internal IP of the FTP server?

So, the firewall receives a FTP request on port 55325 from the public internet which it will translate to port 21. It then needs to forward it onto host 192.168.1.5 (for example) on port 21

matclou

Dabbler
Step 4 refers to an internal IP - "freenas" stands for the internal IP of my NAS device ;-) - and it translate the ftp request on port 55325 to port 21 on the NAS device...

Kcaj

Contributor
Is “freenas” then an “alias” for an IP or is it a hostname?

Can the firewall reach the FTP server?

Last edited:

matclou

Dabbler
Just an update: It worked and I don't really know, where my error was ... but no it's all fine ;-)

Thank you all!