extend stripped 2x1tb to 3x1tb

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0ster

Cadet
Can i extend stripped zfs by adding another 1TB disk to pool ? From 2x1TB to 3x1TB without losing any data ?

When i try do that using volume manager I got msg:

" You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisting of 2 device(s)"

xaibex

Patron
if the two volumes are in fact a stripe (not a mirror) yes.
But be awere that the existing data will remain striped betwen the initial to drive until you rewrite it or doing a scrub (this not 100% sure).
And be awere that you have ZERO redundancy. If one drive fails you will LOOSE ALL DATA!

b0ster

Cadet
if the two volumes are in fact a stripe (not a mirror) yes.
But be awere that the existing data will remain striped betwen the initial to drive until you rewrite it or doing a scrub (this not 100% sure).
And be awere that you have ZERO redundancy. If one drive fails you will LOOSE ALL DATA!

I know i will lose all my data if my disk fail. How can i do that ? I keep geting this msg :
" You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisting of 2 device(s)"

Do u have any solution for this error ?

xaibex

Patron
How can i do that ?
Normaly per GUI "Attach Disk" or similar (I Dont really know because i use FreeNAS in German)

alternatively you can do this by CLI
#zpool add yourpoolname newdrive

b0ster

Cadet
Normaly per GUI "Attach Disk" or similar (I Dont really know because i use FreeNAS in German)

alternatively you can do this by CLI
And this automatially add my new 1TB drive to my 2TB and make 3TB witout losing any data ?

D

dlavigne

Yup, the GUI won't let you do that and it is for your protection so you don't lose data. From http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#extending-a-zfs-volume:

When adding disks to increase the capacity of a volume, ZFS supports the addition of virtual devices, known as vdevs, to an existing ZFS pool. A vdev can be a single disk, a stripe, a mirror, a RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2, or a RAIDZ3. Once a vdev is created, you can not add more drives to that vdev; however, you can stripe a new vdev (and its disks) with the same type of existing vdev in order to increase the overall size of ZFS the pool. In other words, when you extend a ZFS volume, you are really striping similar vdevs.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I know i will lose all my data if my disk fail.

Just reiterating this... You are making a bad decision here and putting your data at risk. Your data, your choice; but do not expect any compassion when (not if) one drive fails and you come asking about how to retrieve data.

b0ster

Cadet
Just reiterating this... You are making a bad decision here and putting your data at risk. Your data, your choice; but do not expect any compassion when (not if) one drive fails and you come asking about how to retrieve data.
Im using this nas to storage my steam games, i dont think i need to have mirror or something like that

Mirfster

Im using this nas to storage my steam games, i dont think i need to have mirror or something like that
Understood. Just providing a warning. :)
Often times systems that are setup for a particular non-vital use, an "experiment" or "test machine" end up being used to house vital data. As long as you are fully aware of the risks and understand the limit of assistance that will be provided.

b0ster

Cadet
Understood. Just providing a warning. :)
Often times systems that are setup for a particular non-vital use, an "experiment" or "test machine" end up being used to house vital data. As long as you are fully aware of the risks and understand the limit of assistance that will be provided.
i guess freenas will make a warning depend on smart scan if one of the disk are going to crash, so i think i will be able to at least copy some of this data to another disk

Mirfster

i guess freenas will make a warning depend on smart scan if one of the disk are going to crash, so i think i will be able to at least copy some of this data to another disk
Don't count on that at all. Warnings are nice but if a drive up and decides to die, your pool is toast. There is no doubt that all hard drives will eventually go out. But, there is no guarantee how they will go out. Some may move gracefully "towards the light"; while others will just up and croak.

b0ster

Cadet
Don't count on that at all. Warnings are nice but if a drive up and decides to die, your pool is toast. There is no doubt that all hard drives will eventually go out. But, there is no guarantee how they will go out. Some may move gracefully "towards the light"; while others will just up and croak.
yeah i undestand that, but as i said this data are not dat importants to me to make a mirror

so i make sure one more time, i should open shell in freenas and put his command:

like:

zpool add TANK sda3

?

gpsguy

Though the OP doesn't care about his data, I wouldn't use the CLI to add the disk. FreeNAS uses gptid's to manage the disks and adds a 2GB partition on each disk for swap.

He should be able to do it by going to Volume Manager and selecting "Manual Setup" (lower right hand corner of page).

zpool add TANK sda3

We often see users who've done that and striped a single disk to their RAIDz1/z2 pool. Then they find out the bad news.

b0ster

Cadet
Though the OP doesn't care about his data, I wouldn't use the CLI to add the disk. FreeNAS uses gptid's to manage the disks and adds a 2GB partition on each disk for swap.

He should be able to do it by going to Volume Manager and selecting "Manual Setup" (lower right hand corner of page).

We often see users who've done that and striped a single disk to their RAIDz1/z2 pool. Then they find out the bad news.
So what should i do than ? I wanna make my stripped 2x1TB disk to 3x1TB without losing data.

gpsguy

Don't do that, then.

You right but there is write on red something like 'you will lose any data'

Can you do a zpool status and post the results using "code tags" (on the insert menu).

Status
Not open for further replies.