Exported, then imported with zpool import -nfFX, now can't mount/import at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnn

Explorer
When I ran zpool import -nfFX A, I got this error:
cannot mount '/A': failed to create mountpoint cannot mount '/A/Backups': failed to create mountpoint cannot mount '/A/Documents': failed to create mountpoint cannot mount '/A/Storage': failed to create mountpoint
Then the zpool doesnt show up in the GUI and a zpool status command returns what looks like a normal pool with no errors. Of course, nothing is accessable.

I exported again and the GUI is unable to auto import.

importing again with zpool import A works but returns the same error and data is not accessable.

I tried some googling, but I don't know what to try next. :-(

PS, I tried the -nffx command in a stupid attemp to try and roll back some even more dumb transactions I did.

I have to go to bed now, will read in the morning.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, -n means you didn't do anything to the pool nor did you actually try to mount it(Hint: This is a VERY good thing). It was supposed to be a "what would happen if you ran that command without the -n. It's simulation only. If you like what the output is then you take the -n off. But at that moment what you do undoable. So if you aren't knowledgable and 100% sure you don't want to try anything else you can do it. But there's no going back if you make thing worse.

Normally, you'd get something that would say some thing like "XXX seconds of data would be lost" or "pool will roll back to the state it was in on dateX and timeY". Then if you are okay with that you take the n parameter off and let her do her thing.

So you have 2 options: (this is where you make a choice.. and there's no "undoing" later as you won't be able to undo the pool stuff later)

1. You can keep doing what you are doing.
2. You can stop trying things and explain more about what is going on, what your hardware is, and what lead to this. I'm the unofficial pool recovery expert. But if you do things that are undoable I can't fix them later.

So, assuming you want to do #2, tell me your hardware specs, what your configuration is(and freenas version), what happened to lead to the unmountable pool, and what you did to try to recover.

Also, don't try to do ANYTHING. Don't do anything except what one of us more experienced guys says. Once a pool is damaged it's a one way streak. You either get your data back or you don't. Patience is the key here. It might take a few days, maybe even a week. But I'll help you out as much as I can as long as you don't try doing lots of crazy stuff. You can undo what my method of attack is for getting your pool straightened out. Ok? If you try to do stuff I will find out. I always do. It'll become obvious when parameters start changing that should be static. Then I'll let you figure it out on your own.

Post the output of the following commands in [ CODE ] and [/CODE]. The CODE is very important as it keeps the formatting of the text.

zpool import
zpool status
gpart list

jonnn

Explorer
OK, I have not done anything since my post.

Setup: intel C226 motherboard with 6x toshiba 3tb drives in RAIDZ2; installed on the intel SATA ports. There is one pool A; three datasets Storage Backups and Documents
Freenas: FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)

What led to this:

1.) pool was working fine and I was doing my first backups by manually copying files to individual drives connected to my windows machine.
2.) I proceeded to accidentally queue a delete on a bunch of files on the pool, realized what I had done and cancelled the delete. Not knowing what had actually been deleted (and the files deleted just happeneed to be the last bit not backed up...) I searched for ZFS undelete ideas on google
3.) I ended up finding the -fFX command via google (I think posted by you) so I went to try that.
4.) exported the pool after disabling sharing
5.) imported with zpool import -nfFX A
error received (immediately):
cannot mount '/A': failed to create mountpoint
cannot mount '/A/Backups': failed to create mountpoint
cannot mount '/A/Documents': failed to create mountpoint
cannot mount '/A/Storage': failed to create mountpoint

SEE BELOW FOR ZPOOL STATUS

However, the GUI doesnt show any pools. I have tried exporting then re-importing via command line and I get the same mount errors even without the -nffx command.
Import via the gui doesn't work, it doesnt find the pool, but zpool import does find it.

SEE POST BELOW FOR GPART LIST AND ZPOOL IMPORT

Really appreciate the help.

jonnn

Explorer
Here is zpool status and zpool import (no info returned)

Code:
[root@SERVER ~]# zpool status                                                                                             
  pool: A                                                                                                                 
state: ONLINE                                                                                                             
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 1h57m with 0 errors on Sun Dec  1 14:55:37 2013                                               
config:                                                                                                                   

NAME                                            STATE    READ WRITE CKSUM                                         
        A                                              ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
          raidz2-0                                      ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
            gptid/6450575a-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
            gptid/64bfc999-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
            gptid/6536a638-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
            gptid/65a01f04-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
            gptid/66086455-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE      0    0    0                                         
            gptid/6673bb7f-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE      0    0    0                                         

errors: No known data errors                                                                                               
[root@SERVER ~]#                                                                                                                    

Code:
[root@SERVER ~]# zpool import                                                                                                 
[root@SERVER ~]#                                                                                                                    

jonnn

Explorer
Here is gpart list 1/2. I used the |more option and manually copy pasted to note pad and split it up ...

Code:
Geom name: da0                                                                                                                 
modified: false                                                                                                               
state: OK                                                                                                                     
fwheads: 255                                                                                                                   
fwsectors: 63                                                                                                                 
last: 8060927                                                                                                                 
first: 63                                                                                                                     
entries: 4                                                                                                                     
scheme: MBR                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: da0s1                                                                                                                 
  Mediasize: 988291584 (942M)                                                                                                 
  Sectorsize: 512                                                                                                             
  Stripesize: 0                                                                                                               
  Stripeoffset: 32256                                                                                                         
  Mode: r1w0e1                                                                                                               
  attrib: active                                                                                                             
  rawtype: 165                                                                                                               
  length: 988291584                                                                                                           
  offset: 32256                                                                                                               
  type: freebsd                                                                                                               
  index: 1                                                                                                                   
  end: 1930319                                                                                                               
  start: 63                                                                                                                   
2. Name: da0s2                                                                                                                 
  Stripeoffset: 988356096                                                                                                     
  Mode: r0w0e0                                                                                                               
  length: 988291584                                                                                                           
  offset: 988356096                                                                                                           
  index: 2                                                                                                                   
  end: 3860639                                                                                                               
  start: 1930383                                                                                                             
3. Name: da0s3                                                                                                                 
  Mediasize: 1548288 (1.5M)                                                                                                   
  Stripeoffset: 1976647680                                                                                                   
  Mode: r0w0e0                                                                                                               
  length: 1548288                                                                                                             
  offset: 1976647680                                                                                                         
  index: 3                                                                                                                   
  end: 3863663
  start: 3860640                                                                                                             
4. Name: da0s4                                                                                                                 
  Mediasize: 21159936 (20M)                                                                                                   
  Stripeoffset: 1978195968                                                                                                   
  Mode: r1w1e2                                                                                                               
  length: 21159936                                                                                                           
  offset: 1978195968                                                                                                         
  index: 4                                                                                                                   
  end: 3904991                                                                                                               
  start: 3863664                                                                                                             
Consumers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: da0                                                                                                                   
  Mediasize: 4127195136 (3.9G)                                                                                               
  Mode: r2w1e4                                                                                                               

Geom name: da0s1                                                                                                               
fwheads: 255                                                                                                                   
last: 1930256                                                                                                                 
first: 0                                                                                                                       
entries: 8                                                                                                                     
scheme: BSD                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: da0s1a                                                                                                               
  Mediasize: 988283392 (942M)                                                                                                 
  Stripeoffset: 40448                                                                                                         
  rawtype: 0                                                                                                                 
  length: 988283392                                                                                                           
  offset: 8192                                                                                                               
  type: !0                                                                                                                   
  end: 1930256                                                                                                               
  start: 16                                                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: da0s1                                                                                                                 
  Stripeoffset: 32256

Geom name: ada0                                                                                                               
fwheads: 16                                                                                                                   
last: 5860533134                                                                                                               
first: 34                                                                                                                     
entries: 128                                                                                                                   
scheme: GPT                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: ada0p1                                                                                                               
  Mediasize: 2147483648 (2.0G)                                                                                               
  Stripesize: 4096                                                                                                           
  Stripeoffset: 0                                                                                                             
  Mode: r1w1e1                                                                                                               
  rawuuid: 6436a9d1-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                               
  rawtype: 516e7cb5-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b                                                                               
  label: (null)                                                                                                               
  length: 2147483648                                                                                                         
  offset: 65536                                                                                                               
  type: freebsd-swap                                                                                                         
  end: 4194431                                                                                                               
  start: 128                                                                                                                 
2. Name: ada0p2                                                                                                               
  Mediasize: 2998445412352 (2.7T)                                                                                             
  rawuuid: 6450575a-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                               
  rawtype: 516e7cba-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b                                                                               
  length: 2998445412352                                                                                                       
  offset: 2147549184                                                                                                         
  type: freebsd-zfs                                                                                                           
  end: 5860533127                                                                                                             
  start: 4194432                                                                                                             
Consumers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: ada0                                                                                                                 
  Mediasize: 3000592982016 (2.7T)                                                                                             
  Mode: r2w2e5

Geom name: ada1                                                                                                               
Providers:                                                                                                                     
1. Name: ada1p1                                                                                                               
  rawuuid: 658b877f-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                               
2. Name: ada1p2                                                                                                                    

jonnn

Explorer
2/2

Code:
  rawuuid: 65a01f04-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada1                                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Geom name: ada2                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada2p1                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 65f3d34f-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
2. Name: ada2p2                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 66086455-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada2                                                                                                                     

Geom name: ada3                                                                                                                                                                                  modified: false                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada3p1                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 64a75828-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
2. Name: ada3p2                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 64bfc999-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada3                                                                                                                     

Geom name: ada4                                                                                                                                                                                  modified: false                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada4p1                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 651cf12d-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
2. Name: ada4p2                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 6536a638-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada4                                                                                                                     

Geom name: ada5                                                                                                                                                                                  modified: false                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada5p1                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 665de1f1-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
2. Name: ada5p2                                                                                                                   
  rawuuid: 6673bb7f-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4                                                                                   
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada5                                                                                                                     

[root@SERVER ~]#                                                                                                                    

jonnn

Explorer
Code:
[root@SERVER ~]# zpool export A                                                                                               
[root@SERVER ~]# zpool import                                                                                                 
  pool: A                                                                                                                     
    id: 8910276138383338837                                                                                                   
  state: ONLINE                                                                                                               
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.                                                       
config:                                                                                                                       

A                                              ONLINE                                                                 
          raidz2-0                                      ONLINE                                                                 
            gptid/6450575a-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE                                                                 
            gptid/64bfc999-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE                                                                 
            gptid/6536a638-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE                                                                 
            gptid/65a01f04-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE                                                                 
            gptid/66086455-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE                                                                 
            gptid/6673bb7f-5013-11e3-b8dd-bc5ff4e799e4  ONLINE                                                                 
[root@SERVER ~]# zpool import A                                                                                               
cannot mount '/A': failed to create mountpoint                                                                                 
cannot mount '/A/Backups': failed to create mountpoint                                                                         
cannot mount '/A/Documents': failed to create mountpoint                                                                       
cannot mount '/A/Storage': failed to create mountpoint                                                                         
[root@SERVER ~]#                                                                                                                    

I'll leave it there until I hear back.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yup it cannot create "/A" because FreeNAS mounts its pools under /mnt, like /mnt/A. I don't recall the correct incantation to cause this to work. Something involving zfs import and mountpoint=foo

jonnn

Explorer
Does that mean that zpool import -nffs did something to mess up the mount points? this pool was created with freenas GUI and all datasets as well. The only "funny" thing I ever did was exporting and importing with the -nffs command.

I am guessing cyberjock will know the best way to fix so I will wait.

Dusan

Guru
No, it did not mess anything up. The GUI actually runs "zpool import -f -R /mnt" when importing a pool to set altroot (mount root) to /mnt.
However, can't you just export it in CLI and auto-import it via GUI?

jonnn

Explorer
No, it did not mess anything up. The GUI actually runs "zpool import -f -R /mnt" when importing a pool to set altroot (mount root) to /mnt.
However, can't you just export it in CLI and auto-import it via GUI?

That's correct. Auto import via GUI shows nothing. It's blank with no pool to select. I tried rebooting.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm awake but I have a headache. Give me some time to eat breakfast and stuff. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Dusan's likely got the right incantation there. Suggest trying it in dry run mode.

jonnn

Explorer
I'm awake but I have a headache. Give me some time to eat breakfast and stuff. ;)
Take your time, I am just leaving it exported and checking my backups between each other for what I did backup :p

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, so do you have skype or are you in the USA?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And for anyone that reads this in the future.. THIS is precisely why snapshots and/or the CIFS "export recycle bin" is a freakin' lifesaver!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Got his data back.

Pool undamaged(but he does have a failing disk despite them being 2 weeks old... boo).

And for the record, FreeNAS does not like importing pools with a single character for a name!

Only took 1.5 hours to figure that out after we figured out his pool was healthy!

Edit: For the record, we chose not to attempt to roll back his pool any further.

jonnn

Explorer
yes, everything is fine, thanks to cyberjocks help.

The problem we discovered is that the Freenas GUI doesn't like having "A" as the pool name.

Basically once cyberjock renamed the pool from A to tank, the GUI suddenly imported it just fine.

We did not try to rollback transactions... so I lost a few things but that's ok.

On the hard drive, I am not sure if it was dead. The SMART issue the drive had is UDMA_CRC_Error_Count. However, when I was doing some prior testing I had a bad SATA cable. From what I read, this could cause these smart errors. I am going to give the drive some more time and I'm still running the SMART long test.

Status
Not open for further replies.