Export pool attached to HBA and import from USB

zilladave

Cadet
Hello all, long time FreeNAS user, first time post. Have always found information needed by searching, but I'm stumped this time!

Anyway I'm upgrading from a 4 drive raidz2 to an 8 drive, but prior to that I wanted to backup a snapshot on a large separate drive. The drive was connected to the HBA (9211), zfs data successfully sent, exported pool, but since I can only support 8 SATA drives, I have to move the backup to USB in order to create the new 8 drive pool and restore data. However, when I try to import, the pool can't be found. Drive shows up just fine though. Does the gptid change when connected to the USB controller and thus the pool isn't recognized? It definitely changes the serial number from what I can tell. Can't even force import. But I've moved USB drives to SATA in the past and successfully imported, so I figured the other way around would work.

And yes, I know USB is stupid, it's just my only solution in this case. If I have to destroy the pool and resend zfs to it, so be it.
  • Motherboard make and model: ASUS P11-M
  • CPU make and model: i3-9000
  • RAM quantity: 32GB ECC
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives: 8x random TB's (5-10) in raidz2. SATADOM for boot
  • Hard disk controllers: 9211-8i
  • Network cards: Broadcom
Any help is much appreciated. Love this community BTW!