Experimental SMB aio module in 11.3

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If anyone feels like alpha testing an experimental AIO module in 11.3, you can enable it by setting the following auxiliary parameters:
Code:
aio write size = 1
aio read size = 1
vfs objects = ixnas aio_fbsd

It uses FreeBSD's kernel POSIX AIO with kqueue, and doesn't immediately crash Samba in my test systems. (There's a reason why it's not exposed in the GUI).
With that caveat, feel free to test it and give feedback and bug reports.
The aio settings can be tuned using the relevant FreeBSD sysctls.

This modules is about halfway to where I want to be. Samba's event loop is still based on poll() and I'm moving it to be kqueue-based. Once I'm there, the posix_aio implementation will be much cleaner (and probably more performant).

Last edited:

JaimieV

Guru
From prior forum chat 6-12 months back I have aio write and read size = 0, to help with deletion issues from a Mac client over SMB (maybe also directory update issues at the Mac client side, I can't quite recall).

Would you recommend trying this from Mac clients?

/Edit - wider question, is the older recommendation for VFS objects catia,fruit,streams_xattr,zfs_space,zfsacl and auxiliary parameters
aio write size = 0
aio read size = 0
still valid in 11.3?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
From prior forum chat 6-12 months back I have aio write and read size = 0, to help with deletion issues from a Mac client over SMB (maybe also directory update issues at the Mac client side, I can't quite recall).

Would you recommend trying this from Mac clients?

/Edit - wider question, is the older recommendation for VFS objects catia,fruit,streams_xattr,zfs_space,zfsacl and auxiliary parameters
aio write size = 0
aio read size = 0
still valid in 11.3?
I do not recommend enabling experimental features for production without an extremely compelling reason to do so.

JaimieV

Guru
This would be a test system :)