ESXi rsync?

melloa

Wizard
Folks,

It seems that after awhile I'd make up my mind and decided to go all in on ESXi. Only kept one bare metal for my back-up FreeNAS.

I'm now planning to implement a script to shutdown the VM and copy all files to one of my NAS. Tried scp and even within ESXi is pretty slow. tried sftp and, of course, if slow as hell - although with bitvise is my method of choice for small stuff.

Do you know of any pre-copiled rsync for ESXi 6.5? I'm running 6.7 but I bet would also work.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Are you trying to do that for... what, backups? If so, maybe look at ghettoVCB instead.

You can make arbitrary ESXi executables without too much fuss by compiling on Linux and being sure to specify -static. Ideally you probably want to use CentOS or Slackware as a base OS.

Some notes on this from people who've done it -

https://communities.vmware.com/message/1096198#1096198

This was much more of a thing years ago. I haven't seen much of this being done since the ESXi 4 days.

l@e

Contributor
Why not mount the FN as nfs datastore and copy them internaly?

melloa

Wizard

ian351c

Patron
I run FreeNAS and several other VMs on my ESXi server. All the "virtual appliances" (FreeNAS, Firewall, etc.) I just back up the configs, not the whole VM. For "server VMs" (Windows, Plex, etc.) I use Unitrends to back them up. They have a free edition that you can use to back up to 1TB of data.