Established Jail changed NICs without setting change

mountaintime

Cadet
I apologize if this is a simple question, but I could not find literature on it.

System config:
(4) Port NIC assigned igb0-igb3 as lagg0, this is the main web interface and internal network 10.1.0.0/24
(1) onboard NIC igb4 connected to internal network 10.2.0.0/24
(1) onboard NIC igb5 not connected.

Setup Process:
1. Setup LAGG0 and jail creation as all default vnet0:bridge0, this worked fine, connecting through the LAGG0 and on network 10.1.0.0.
2. Installed plex plugin via default settings, jail network properties shows vnet0:bridge0, connected through 10.1.0.0 network.
3. Connected igb4 to a switch port on network 10.2.0.0, left config as no IP.
4. Created a VM attached to igb4, VM assigned network 10.2.0.0 via DHCP functioning as expected. The VM is running camera DVR software and the intention is for 10.2.0.0 network to only handle cameras and the controller.

Result:
After creation of the VM, I noticed that the Jail had changed networks and is now connected to the 10.2.0.0 network without changing any settings. I verified that data is now transmitting through igb4 instead of lagg0.

Question:
Is this an expected behavior? and if so is there a way to specify which interface the jail stays connected to? I have tried creating bridges and attaching the jail to the bridge via the network properties without success. Ideally, the plex jail could actually be attached to igb5 to keep the video streaming traffic also separate from file serving.

Thank you for your consideration.

mountaintime

Cadet
Oddly enough, shortly after posting this message and rebooting the VM, the VM now communicates via lagg0 thereby putting both services exactly opposite where I would like them. No configuration changes were made.

This is unexpected behavior since the nic is supposed to be attached to igb4 as originally setup, and still shows attached when editing devices.

After disconnecting the line to igb4, the plex jail reverted to communicating through lagg0 and the VM after rebooting communicates via lagg0 as well instead of getting no IP. Everything was setup using the GUI, Could this be a bug? Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1

Thank you.

Attachments

• VM-NIC.JPG
    VM-NIC.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 166