Errors happen to all of us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoosteR

Guru
and today I wanted to replace a failed boot drive. And guess what? I have chosen the wrong one xD
So short story long: I have seen that the boot pool got degraded due to a bad USB drive I have in the system for ~2years. So I bought a new one. Double checked serial number and size. I have one 16GB and one newe 32GB. Pressed the button for safely detaching the failed one - and went to the server. But I was wrong which stick I bought first, but I was 100% sure that it would be the correct one. But it wasn't.
I needed a reboot so the system was coming up again. I guess I do not have any data loss on the boot pool. I did not wanted to boot from the faulty drive ofc, because it has 150 write errors...
So I have booted from the wrongly detached one. System is up again and I hope all is fine and there will not happen any sudden crash...
I guess its still to hot outside (yes its not my fault^^ (kidding) :P

-Ice

Bummer.

Pro tip... If you have two boot USB sticks and one fails, add a third stick to the group. Once the third USB stick has mirrored up, pull the stick you think is bad. If you're right, drop the removed stick from the mirror group and you still have two good sticks in the group. If you're wrong, not a big deal, pull the other one then add back a good stick and mirror it up.

Cheers,
Matt

IceBoosteR

Guru
Bummer.

Pro tip... If you have two boot USB sticks and one fails, add a third stick to the group. Once the third USB stick has mirrored up, pull the stick you think is bad. If you're right, drop the removed stick from the mirror group and you still have two good sticks in the group. If you're wrong, not a big deal, pull the other one then add back a good stick and mirror it up.

Cheers,
Matt
You're absolutely right. I should have done this...

Status
Not open for further replies.