Error and best practice to repair / upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeWebDude

Explorer
Hello All,

I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.1-U3 (d985cd1) it has been running well, but in the past couple months I have been getting a corruption issue with of all things the USB Drive.
Error message is below.

I do have some older backups of the configuration as well as being able to take a current configuration backup.
I did try some methods for correcting the issue, but those didn't work and the message keeps coming.

My question is what is the safest way to repair the situation, do I simply pop in a new USB drive with the same or newer version?
I just need to insure I protect the data of course.

I appreciate any assistance or pointing to a well written doc on how to approach the issue.

Thanks!

Code:
Checking status of zfs pools:
NAME		   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG	CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
VOL1		  8.16T   985G  7.19T		 -	48%	11%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
freenas-boot	15G  1.71G  13.3G		 -	  -	11%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
	attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
	using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h2m with 0 errors on Mon Jun 18 03:47:35 2018
config:

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
	freenas-boot								  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
	  gptid/33c6a617-31b0-11e6-b824-78e3b510a9c8  ONLINE	   0	 0	38

errors: No known data errors

-- End of daily output --

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
My question is what is the safest way to repair the situation, do I simply pop in a new USB drive with the same or newer version?

New drive (SSD instead of USB if possible), re-install same version (or newer), import config, reboot, done :)

Data is safe as it's completely independent of the system. You can disconnect the data drives during the re-install step if you want to be sure to not install the system on one of them.

DeWebDude

Explorer
Thanks for the information.

@Bidule0hm Sorry, my somehow the notification email went to outer space and I didn't see the reply.

If I install onto a drive or USB from my PC, then boot on that device, restore the settings, and finally take that to the NAS does that work?

Thanks!

Bidule0hm

Ah and when you have the wizard to create a pool just after the install just cancel it (because your pool is already created of course).

Yes, you can do that. But you'll probably need to reconfigure the network parameters once you moved the drive from the PC to the NAS ;)

DeWebDude

Explorer
Thanks again!

So if I want to simplify the process, I boot from the REAL NAS, install the software to USB, during the process does it prompt for an existing config?

or is that simply installing the software onto the USB which I can do on the PC.
Then take the USB to the system, boot up, DO NOT create from first run the array, restore settings and reboot?

I just want to be very sure of the process as you can imagine, no mistakes allowed :)

Bidule0hm

I don't know if it prompts, I don't think so but I'm not 100 % sure.

You can do either of the options, but if you chose the second one your server will probably not have the right IP address so you'll need to reconfigure that (or just use whatever address it has, it is displayed once it's booted) so you can access the GUI to upload your config, but that's all that's needed ;)

Note that you need one drive with the system image on it, boot on it, and install the system on another drive (i.e. you can't just flash the ISO to a system drive) like you would with Windows or any other OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.