Error adding Sandisk USB to bootpool

tgn55

Dabbler
Hi,
a while back I got some errors reported on my mirrored (16 Gb) USB boot pool drives...

I successfully replaced one USB with a 32 Gb drive I had laying around, but wanted to have two identical 32 Gb drives... I bought a couple Sandisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 flash drives. That's when the fun began...

On attempting to replace the remainng 16 Gb drive, I got a bunch of Python errors. Strange... I've done this several times before with no issues.
I pulled the Sandisk drive and stuck it in my (old faithful) Windows 7 PC.. Hmm... it did not show up as USB drives normally do (tho' I could "see" the drive under Devices & Printers.... That's odd...

I poked around in Disk Manager (this is all on Windows), and guessed that the drive was partitioned in a way that TrueNAS - and my Win7 PC couldn't grok. OK, nuke it, built a plain old FAT32 partition on it. Fine... my PC can now see the drive. Great! Feels like I'm winning...

Try to add the newly formatted drive to my TrueNAS boot pool .. nope. Same error. Grrr.

Go back to PC, nuke the USB again, but don't partition it, try add to boot pool... nope. Same error.

Go into TrueNAS Storage->Disks... Wipe drive, now try add to boot pool... yep, you guessed right. Same error.

So... here's the error text:

CallError​

[EFAULT] newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/da1p1 failed: newfs_msdos: /dev/da1p1: Operation not permitted
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 138, in call_method
result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1213, in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/boot.py", line 139, in replace
await self.middleware.call('boot.format', dev, format_opts)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1256, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1213, in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/boot_/format.py", line 118, in format
raise CallError(
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/da1p1 failed:
newfs_msdos: /dev/da1p1: Operation not permitted

At this point, I seem to have tried just about every combo - and still nothing works on TrueNAS.
I have trawled other posts about USB errors, but found nothing to get past this snafu. Any help appreciated,

PS... suggestions to go to SSD boot are not helpful... I have all 6 SATA ports connected to my disk drives, so booting from USB is probably my only option.

Thanks,
T.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
suggestions to go to SSD boot are not helpful... I have all 6 SATA ports connected to my disk drives, so booting from USB is probably my only option.
SSD to USB adapter has been suggested and used with good success (for the boot pool, not data pools) around here.

Last edited:

tgn55

Dabbler
Thanks... I'll check that option out - but, I'd still like to know why my USB stick throws this error. Is it a problem with the way it is formatted? Lack of Sandisk driver (seems unlikely for a major brand - but who knows)

I cant decipher anything useful from the trace. Am I correct in thinking that it was all going fine until the last line ie call to newfs_msdos?

Cheers,
T.

sretalla