Encrypted Volume Will Not Decrypt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonpoc

Dabbler
Emergency over here!

I have a volume, called "SSD", consisting of two 60GB SSDs; I created the volume with one SSD (/dev/ada0), and I added the other SSD (/dev/ada5) shortly thereafter and expanded the volume to include the new SSD. I had been using it fine with encryption for a week now, until I just rebooted and am now unable to unlock the volume! I know the passphrase is correct; so, I tried the recovery key to no avail. Nothing is working to unlock the volume! Everything is still in order -- the first SSD is ada0, the second is ada5.

What in the world happened here? Could adding the second SSD have screwed something up? What can I do? Is it possible to remove the second SSD and have it work? Should I expect my primary volume for storage (3x3TB, striped) to fail on me like this as well?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

My system:
  • FreeNAS 8.3.1 64-bit, AMD64 (Phenom II x2), 16GB DDR3 memory
  • Volume 1: 3x3TB HDD (Striped, Encrypted) (on-board SATA)
  • Volume 2: 2x60GB SSD (striped, encrypted) (PCI SATA)
  • Unused: 500GB SSD

brandonpoc

Dabbler
Update:

I went to "Detach" the volume so I could download the key. The key provided was of 0 length! Apparently, the key is not being stored properly. I have a copy of the key on my hard disk, but I also have the recovery key and that doesn't work. Could this have something to do with adding another disk to the encrypted volume? How do I rectify this?

paleoN

Wizard
I went to "Detach" the volume so I could download the key. The key provided was of 0 length!
Never tried encryption, but perhaps this is relevant: [thread=11894]FreeNAS will not decrypt through Storage tab[/thread].

brandonpoc

Dabbler
Never tried encryption, but perhaps this is relevant: [thread=11894]FreeNAS will not decrypt through Storage tab[/thread].

Alright, I'll try to detach it and re-attach. The thread doesn't really mention a solution per-se, and it says that the errors occured with the beta and release candidates; I'm running RC1, so I'll try upgrading to Release perhaps? This is nasty!

brandonpoc

Dabbler
I managed to get it un-locked by detaching and then auto-importing with encryption and providing the key along with my passphrase, however it wasn't then mounted by FreeNAS but instead is sitting in /dev/gptid/ as a .eli device. I don't know how to mount this device manually, and I don't know how to do it via the GUI, either. How do I get this mounted and more importantly make sure that I don't have to do this again?

I'll be upgrading to 8.3.1-REL shortly.

Thanks
Brandon

brandonpoc

Dabbler
Err, no, actually I just realized I am running RELEASE -- FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452). Bearing this in mind, how do I fix this problem now? :/

brandonpoc

Dabbler
Okay, there is some kind of bug. I tried auto-importing just the FIRST disk of the volume that was created, ada0p1, and it decrypted and identified the volume ("SSD") within -- however, it did NOT mount it and instead spit out an error:

Mar 26 21:27:24 cabinet manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The volume "SSD" failed to import, for futher details check pool status]

So, if I choose both disks of the volume, ti doesn't work at all; if I choose just the first one, it identifies the volume but then doesn't work (to import).

I will be filing this under the bugs area.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should open a ticket at support.freenas.org. If possible include a link to the ticket for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.