Encrypted dataset locked behavior

c77dk

Patron
Hi,

I probably missed it somewhere, but need some clarification on the encrypted datasets and shares.

I made a dataset "nfsshare" and chose to encrypt it to test the feature. Looks perfect and needs passphrase to unlock after boot - so far, so good.

Now I forgot to unlock the dataset after applying the latest nightly, mounted my nfs share from linux, and though "did I realy nuke those ISOs" (it's a testserver, so possible).... nothing to tell me something was wrong, so uploaded ISOs again, still with locked dataset.

Suddenly realized the dataset was locked, went in and unlocked it, and found my data - but now the newly uploaded ISOs are hidden (by the mount operation?).
Locking and umounting the dataset once again show my newly uploaded ISOs.

Is there a way to stop NFS (and I guess this is for SMB as well) from starting/allowing writes to a path with a locked dataset? This is just a testserver, but I could imagine other setups where a file "going away" on unlock wouldn't be a good thing (Maildir storage).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like that's worth a bug report. I imagine that the correct way of doing this is to not present shares for locked datasets. It's one of those things that might be very easy to implement or a massive pain.

c77dk

Patron