Enable Linux Binary Compatibility on boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayG30

Contributor
Hello,

I need to enable the Linux binary compatibility and have it persistently on boot. I think I know how following THIS but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this and make sure I'm not missing anything. Currently I have it running and the binary working by just loading the module with;
Code:
kldload linux
kldload linux64

This is what I'm thinking I should do to have this happen persistently.
System->Tunables -> Add Tunable(s)
variable: linux_enable
value: YES
Type: rc.conf

My understanding is that linux_enable=YES will run /etc/rc.d/abi which will setup the Linux compatibility layer and load the Linux kernel modules (so no reason to add linux_load=YES to /boot/loader.conf).

For reference, I've managed to get Veeam Backup & Replication working with FreeNAS 11 as a "linux backup repository" with surprisingly little effort and am documenting steps necessary. All changes should be possible directly through the GUI and there are only like 3 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Linux compatibility in FreeNAS has been deprecated for a long time, so don't expect it to work. You're better off standing up a Linux VM using Bhyve.

JayG30

Contributor
It's a FreeBSD feature and I already have it working! It works perfectly and wasn't even difficult. I just need to know if I have it correct about how to force the module to load on boot. I don't believe FreeBSD has deprecated work on it have they? The linux.ko and linux64.ko are still included in the base installation of FreeNAS 11 so it isn't like you even have to add them. From what I can tell FreeNAS just stopped bothering with it to provide Linux jails/plugins.

This just allows the VeeamAgent Linux binary that is required for Veeam B&R to add a Linux server as a backup repository. Lots of other people use NFS/CIFS/ISCSI. But this is considered the best method.

I've already done the bhyve VM approach. It works fine. But this way I don't have to bother with passing disk space to the VM or any extra storage management, extra overhead of virtualizing the I/O, and no worries about dedicating CPU/RAM to the VM (the backups get full access to the hosts CPU/RAM). I don't see why I would complicate it more then it has to be. 3 steps and it works natively.

D

dlavigne

Those steps are correct. However, I'm pretty sure you also have to do that in the jail (via editing the jail's
/etc/rc.conf directly) in order for it to load into the jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.