Empty dropdown for raidz1 disk replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

schad

Cadet
Hi all, FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 here. I have a 4-disk raidz1 that recently experienced a drive failure. Because this box has only 4 drive bays, in-place replacement is my only option. It's AHCI so I confirmed that the drive was showing as "FAULTED" and then pulled it and replaced it with a brand new disk. Per the docs, this is the right thing to do. However, in the GUI, when I select the disk and click the "Replace" button, the dropdown for "Member disk" is blank and empty. The disk shows up just fine under "View disks" with the expected device name (ada0) and serial number (not the old disk's serial). "camcontrol devlist" on the CLI shows the new disk and not the old disk.

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zpool status -v
  pool: data0
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Replace the faulted device, or use 'zpool clear' to mark the device
        repaired.
  scan: scrub repaired 44K in 4h36m with 0 errors on Sun May 10 04:36:51 2015
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        data0                                           DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
            gptid/bc23ea6b-388f-11e4-bfe3-000c29f8a1e5  FAULTED      1   155     0  too many errors
            gptid/bc8539c2-388f-11e4-bfe3-000c29f8a1e5  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/bce11e3c-388f-11e4-bfe3-000c29f8a1e5  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/cefc9e61-d932-11e4-b1a8-000c29f8a1e5  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

The GUI volume status shows ada1p2 through ada3p2, all with status ONLINE, and gptid/bc23... (was ada0p2) as FAULTED.

I did my best to follow the docs, but the manual seems to assume that you're not doing an in-place replacement. So I definitely had to guess in certain sections. In particular, before I pulled the bad disk, if I clicked on the "Replace" button it would give me one option in the "Member disk" list: "In-place [ada0]". I always canceled out because I was pretty sure you were supposed to pull the bad disk before replacing it. But the fact that I had the exact option I wanted before, and do not have that option any more, suggests to me that maybe I did it wrong. But like I said, this specific process seems to be entirely undocumented. Even Google can't tell me how to do it with the GUI. (Plenty of hits telling me how to do it with the CLI, which is how I replaced the last failed disk. But I want to do it "correctly.")

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Did you offline the drive accordingly to the manual before removing it?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What you are doing is what most people do. Offline disk, shutdown server, remove disk, put in new disk, start server, click replace in GUI, select new disk, wait for resilver.

schad

Cadet
The manual says that if the disk is in state "FAULTED" you don't have to offline it. (Which is good, because there's no offline button if the disk is faulted. Only replace.) Since that's the state it was in, I just hot swapped out the bad disk and hot swapped in the replacement.

I kind of suspected that I'd have to reboot. I guess the GUI is a little confused about whether ada0 is a new disk or not, so it doesn't understand what to do with it. If it still doesn't work after a reboot I'll post back (need to wait for a "maintenance window," aka my wife's bedtime).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The manual says that if the disk is in state "FAULTED" you don't have to offline it. (Which is good, because there's no offline button if the disk is faulted. Only replace.) Since that's the state it was in, I just hot swapped out the bad disk and hot swapped in the replacement.

I kind of suspected that I'd have to reboot. I guess the GUI is a little confused about whether ada0 is a new disk or not, so it doesn't understand what to do with it. If it still doesn't work after a reboot I'll post back (need to wait for a "maintenance window," aka my wife's bedtime).
You hardware probably doesn't support hot swap. Most motherboards and sata interfaces don't.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Ok ;)

So yep: when in doubt, reboot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.