E5-1620 v2 laying around with some memory ...

melloa

Wizard
So I ran out of boxes after getting the test server on prod with 11.2 ... After moving things around I've ended up with one E5-1620 v2 and 8x4G ECC DDR3 without a motherboard. With a couple supermicro chassis laying around, it makes sense to get a motherboard and get a test server working.

A single CPU board will be better, but considering the cost for a E5-1620, I could go with a dual CPU option.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
A single CPU board will be better, but considering the cost for a E5-1620, I could go with a dual CPU option.
That is a pretty decent processor. I use one like that in my desktop computer.
The Xeon E5-1620 does not support dual CPU configurations, so I don't know if it will work in a dual socket system board, even if it is in a single processor configuration. It probably depends on the system chipset and BIOS.
To be sure it will work, you might want to get one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...ntel-Socket-LGA2011-System-Board/401678513337

I know someone that bought one from this seller on an offer of $165

melloa

Wizard
That is a pretty decent processor. I use one like that in my desktop computer.

What a coincidence ...

Code:
Kernel and CPU    FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p15 on amd64
Processor information    Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2, 8 cores

That's a Dell workstation, but I didn't want to go Dell to keep the rack all SM (Don't want to mess with the decoration to won't upset wife LOL).

To be sure it will work, you might want to get one of these:

That's a pretty decent board. In fact the spare parts came from my server with one of those. As I'm running ESXi, 1st upgraded the memory and than got a little run on the processor, in case I wanted to add VMs.

I know someone that bought one from this seller on an offer of $165

Will keep an eye on those.

Thanks for your suggestion.

melloa

Wizard
By the way ... My X9SRL-F doesn't have the Optimal fan speed, so it gets loud (that's the one I got those resistors for testing).