E-mail notifications

SecCon

Contributor
I have managed to get FreeNAS to send me status mail when the alert settings trigger it, yet I find two things I am unable to figure out, maybe they have to be set as cron, and I have utterly no clue about cron. Gibberish to me.

• Message telling me that the Nas is alive sent every X hours (My ASUSTOR NAS does this twice per day)
  • When sending message about Weekly run output it says:
    Security check: (output mailed separately) -- End of weekly output --
    but I get no output mail? Where is that setting?

On a general approach, why do one have to set the e-mailing parameters in three different places?

D

dlavigne

The built-in FreebSD security checks are emailed to the email address set for the root user account: Account -> Users.

SecCon

Contributor
Already set and works as stated above.

That text is in the e-mail... literally. What is it not sending?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What is it not sending?
I have no idea. Nothing? I have been getting those emails once per week for 5 years, and have been ignoring them.

SecCon

Contributor
Great....

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I always took it to mean: "If I *HAD* some weekly security stuff to email to you, it would be following this email". i.e., a confirmation that a weekly check is done? I don't know.

SecCon

Contributor
Yeah, well that could make sense of course...

I am using e-mail notifications as "heartbeat" so I know the system is up, that is the intended usage anyway, so still need to figure out how to get those e-mails twice a day... or every 12 hours.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
oh, well, you can easily write a script to email you, and set it to do so in cron every 12 hours. That's not a problem. Is that what you're looking to do? I thought your primary question was about the mystery emails.