E-mail not working TrueNas 12.8

SnapTech

Cadet
Totally new truenas user. I've followed the documentation on how to set it up but when I click the "Send Test E-mail"
button, I get this error message.

Error: [EFAULT] Failed to send email: [Errno 8] Name does not resolve

What am I doing wrong?

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

Are you running Core or Scale?

Please post a screenshot of Network>Global Configuration.

To save the time of the potential next questions, please post the information requested in "Forum Rules" on the masthead or here at https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/forum-rules.45124/

SnapTech

Cadet
1649499196452.png

Redcoat

MVP
OK - You need to fill in your IPv4Default Gateway and DNS servers on the screen above.

Your default gateway is most likely the IP address of your router - maybe 192.168.50.1?

For DNS Nameservers - unless you know otherwise, use 8.8.8.8 for one, 8.8.4.4 for another.

Once you have made and saved those entries, TrueNAS should be able to get to the outside world. The other requirement to send the test email successfully is that you have entered a valid email address for the root user in Accounts/Users.

For more help, please post your system information as requested in the Forum Rules.

Last edited:

neofusion

Contributor
OK - You need to fill in your IPv4Default Gateway and DNS servers on the screen above.

Your default gateway is most likely the IP address of your router - maybe 192.168.50.1?

For DNS Nameservers - unless you know otherwise, use 8.8.8.8 for one, 8.8.4.4 for another.

Once you have made and saved those entries, TrueNAS should be able to get to the outside world. The other requirement to send the test email successfully is that you have entered a valid email address for the root user in Accounts/Users.

For more help, please post your system information as requested in the Forum Rules.
If you want to use a public DNS service you can typically do that from a central place in your router instead.

So a divergent opinion would be to use the IP address of your router as Nameserver 1 and let the router control DNS lookup instead of hardcoding 8.8.8.8 or something similar.

Redcoat

MVP

Redcoat

MVP
So a divergent opinion would be to use the IP address of your router as Nameserver 1 and let the router control DNS lookup instead of hardcoding 8.8.8.8 or something similar
Yes, I have mine set up that way, but I’m uncertain if that always works…

neofusion

Contributor
Yes, I have mine set up that way, but I’m uncertain if that always works…
It doesn't always work, but then again what always works? :wink:
If the router breaks you're not going to reach 8.8.8.8 anyway, even if hardcoded on the appliance.