Dual Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie1688

Explorer
Hi,

I'm new to FreeNAS so please bear with me.

My motherboard has two NICs. I'd like to configure FreeNas to do the following:

Nic #1 - Connects to the home router, allowing all computer access to FreeNas (also has its own DSL connection)
Nic #2 - Connects to the cable modem

I'd like my FreeNas box to use Nic #2, for all downloading purposes, while rejecting any inbound requests to access the FreeNas interface. All while Nic #1 is available to transfer files to my home network.

In the unfortunate event that Nic #2 fails, IE modem connection cuts out, I'd like the box to failover to Nic#1.

I read through:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_network.html

Do I need to create a LAGG with both NICs? Would I be selecting Failover, then creating a tunable as suggested in the guide? How would I block outside access to Nic #2?

boggie1688

Explorer
Unfortunately, no.

I'm not proficient enough with freebsd to figure out a solution.

The easiest non software way to block inbound connections for Nic2, was to through a router between the freenas box and the modem.

However, getting the freenas box to prefer Nic2 over Nic1 for downloading proved fruitless. It preferentially kept choosing Nic1.

Being way over my head, I invested in a dual wan router. Not the solution I wanted, but it works.

Nick2253

Wizard
Why are you trying to do this? Are you trying to give FreeNAS its own ISP for downloading purposes?

xamboozi

Cadet
Oh god no this is a terrible idea. Don't ever put your NAS on the internet without a firewall. It's not meant to do any security whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.