Dual-CPU on TrueNAS Core? Can it be done?

leumas

Cadet
Good afternoon TrueNAS forums!

I've just received a build that contains a dual CPU motherboard rocking two Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650s. In the web GUI, I can only see my system utilizing one CPU. Does TrueNAS have support for dual CPU, and if so, how might I go about enabling it?

Thank you all so much for your time!

Leumas

no_connection

Patron
On my windows dual CPU I only see one CPU clock up and do the work until enough threads/load warrants the 2nd CPU to jump in (with the occational jump around, really depending on the app). I would assume it does this to not waste power. Are you sure it's not just keeping it idle until needed?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does TrueNAS have support for dual CPU
Of course. What makes you think it's only using one CPU? Here's what my dual X5650 system looks like:
1617556723293.png

modernpaul

Dabbler
Do you feel the dual processor would actually give you benefits over a single processor that is 12 core? I'm trying to decide which way to go either single or dual processor. I know that memory has more of a benefit than the CPU.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's nothing magically better about two processors. Think of it as a necessary evil to overcome some constraint, because it's always going to be worse the further apart you place things.

E.g. at work, I can replace two Dell R630s, with two Xeon E5 v3s each, for one Dell R6515, with one Epyc Rome/Milan, and still end up 50% faster. But if I wanted 128 cores per machine, I'd need to move to a dual-CPU solution again.