Drive "UNAVAILABLE" -- but which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
zpool status

shows that one drive in one of my vdevs is "UNAVAILABLE" but does not tell me which one:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                                                                     
  pool: Pool1                                                                                                                      
state: DEGRADED                                                                                                                   
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will                                                          
        continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.                                                                        
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.                                                                                         
  scan: resilver in progress since Tue Feb 17 16:05:36 2015                                                                        
        4.61T scanned out of 15.8T at 1.01G/s, 3h9m to go                                                                          
        246G resilvered, 29.21% done                                                                                               
config:                                                                                                                            

NAME                                              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                               
        Pool1                                             DEGRADED     0     0     0                                               
          raidz2-0                                        ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            replacing-0                                   ONLINE       0     0     9                                               
              gptid/7bc9fb7b-14c5-11e3-b6d4-001b21c4dc34  ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
              gptid/c93393c8-b6e4-11e4-a932-002590f06338  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)                                
            gptid/7c972217-14c5-11e3-b6d4-001b21c4dc34    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            gptid/34a0d18f-b2f0-11e3-bc9a-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            gptid/7e979187-14c5-11e3-b6d4-001b21c4dc34    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            gptid/7f8bd18b-14c5-11e3-b6d4-001b21c4dc34    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            gptid/80a62fee-14c5-11e3-b6d4-001b21c4dc34    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
          raidz2-1                                        DEGRADED     0     0     0                                               
            gptid/a5730508-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            gptid/a60382e0-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0    74                                               
            gptid/a6b07d90-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            18058922779151202198                          UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/a76230d7-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f
06338                                                                                                                              
            gptid/a810e5f6-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               
            gptid/a8b67a6c-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                       

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                               
state: ONLINE                                                                                                                     
  scan: resilvered 657M in 0h11m with 0 errors on Tue Feb 17 12:50:28 2015                                                         
config:                                                                                                                            

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                   
        freenas-boot                                  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                   
           gptid/a8b67a6c-8968-11e4-a2aa-002590f06338    ONLINE       0     0     0                                               

errors: No known data errors  

How do I find the Serial# of the unavailable drive?

zambanini

Patron
that is the reasson you label the drives before you deploy them.

right now you can write down all the serial numbers und take a look which drive is not within your last.
smartctl might help you, or the web frontend, show disks‎

Z300M

Guru
that is the reasson you label the drives before you deploy them.

right now you can write down all the serial numbers und take a look which drive is not within your last.
smartctl might help you, or the web frontend, show disks‎
All the drives are labeled with their Serial Numbers.
All show up in the GUI's View Disks.
smartctl -a /dev/daX shows all as "PASSED".

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Last edited:

Z300M

Guru

Bidule0hm

Oh, I see.

Then the only solution that I can think of is to identify the others drives, the only drive non-identified is the one that is unavailable.

Z300M

Guru
And when I try to run your script (which I saved as DriveInfo.sh), I get:

Code:
+========+============================================+=================+                                                         
DriveInfo.sh: line 11: syntax error near unexpected token `gptid=`glabel status -s "${drive}p2" | awk '{print $1}'`'              
DriveInfo.sh: line 11: `    gptid=`glabel status -s "${drive}p2" | awk '{print $1}'`' 

Bidule0hm

Hmm, I checked, there is no errors in the script. Can you post the output of cat -e DriveInfo.sh please?

Z300M

Guru
Hmm, I checked, there is no errors in the script. Can you post the output of cat -e DriveInfo.sh please?
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# cat -e DriveInfo.sh                                                                                             
#!/bin/sh$                                                                                                                        
$                                                                                                                                 
drives="da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 da6 da7 da8 da9 da10 da11 da12 da13 da14"                                                         
                $                                                                                                                 
                                                                                $                                                 
echo "" $                                                                                                                         
$                                                                                                                                 
echo "+========+============================================+=================+"      $                                           
echo "| Device | GPTID                                      | Serial          |"                                                  
                          $                                                                                                       
echo "+========+============================================+=================+"     $                                            
for drive in $drives do                                                         $                                                 
    gptid=`glabel status -s "${drive}p2" | awk '{print $1}'`$                                                                     
    serial=`smartctl -a /dev/${drive} | grep "Serial Number" | awk '{print $3}'`                                                  
               $                                                                                                                  
    printf "| %-6s | %-42s | %-15s |\n" "$drive" "$gptid" "$serial"             $                                                 
    echo "+--------+--------------------------------------------+-----------------+"     $                                        
done$                                                                                                                             
echo ""     $                                                                                                                     
[root@freenas ~]#  

Bidule0hm

Waow, some lines have a bunch of spaces (or maybe some other characters who mess-up the script) a the end, others don't have anything... WTF?

I created a pastebin to avoid any strange things that can happen with a copy-paste from the forum: http://pastebin.com/TXnFt2bf

Z300M

Guru
Waow, some lines have a bunch of spaces (or maybe some other characters who mess-up the script) a the end, others don't have anything... WTF?

I created a pastebin to avoid any strange things that can happen with a copy-paste from the forum: http://pastebin.com/TXnFt2bf
OK. That works now. Thanks.

Z300M

Guru
Oh, I see.

Then the only solution that I can think of is to identify the others drives, the only drive non-identified is the one that is unavailable.
All the drives (except da12, which is a "non-hot" spare) show up with corresponding gpt labels.

But now I found that FreeNAS sent an email in the early hours of the morning reporting a SMART error on da5:
Code:
The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/da5 [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:
ST32000641AS, S/N:********, WWN:5-000c50-03607df40, FW:CC13, 2.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

But smartctl shows da5 as PASSED.

Is the FreeNAS smartd daemon reporting bogus information?

And where do I find the SYSLOG I am advised to check?

Bidule0hm

OK. That works now. Thanks.
No problem ;)

All the drives (except da12, which is a "non-hot" spare) show up with corresponding gpt labels.
I'm not sure I understand correctly: you're saying that the unavailable drive is not showing in the output of the ident script but all the connected drives are showing? (yeah I'm lost, pretty badly xD)

It's not because a drive pass the test that there is no problem. You can have some pending sectors and no problem. But the thing is the pending sectors generally doesn't stay low, when you have a couple of pending sectors you're pretty much guaranted that the drive will fail in the next weeks/days.

What I would do is to do a smartctl -a /dev/da5 to see the detailed status of the SMART on da5 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.