Domain Joined SMB & SSH Issue in Beta 21.08 & Latest Nightly Build

ctkelvin

Cadet
I am currently doing POC for both TrueNAS SCALE system.

I found that when the SCALE joined domain and set the share to be "Use as Home Share". The domain user cannot access the home share even granted full control for that.
Checked the log show incorrect path or no such directory. It is required to create the user home directory manually using Shell under the share in order to access it.

Meanwhile, SSH enabled the "Allow Kerberos Authentication" and "Allow Password Authentication". Domain administrators group account is unable to login and the log shows unable to find the user.

I did the same setting in latest CORE version. Both are working well. Are the SCALE still working on above two issues? Thanks.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The SCALE configuration is different from CORE. You might need to show the configurations you used. I suspect it's a configuration issue.

The fastest way to find a bug is to log into Jira ("report a bug" button) ... and then search for a keyword or look at the 21.10 planned changes.

ctkelvin

Cadet
I don't think it is configuration issue. I fresh installed SCALE and CORE. Perform same steps to join domain and configure the home share with correct ACL setting and SSH configuration.

CORE was working properly and SCALE wasn't working.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't think it is configuration issue. I fresh installed SCALE and CORE. Perform same steps to join domain and configure the home share with correct ACL setting and SSH configuration.

CORE was working properly and SCALE wasn't working.
I'm surprised that no-one else has reported similar. if you can "report a bug" with the steps you took to configure SCALE and the system response, then the team can see if its replicable. Thanks in advance for the extra work you are doing.

NugentS

MVP
@morganL - that link to 21.10 planned changes - I don't have access to.
Sorry, you can't view this page
This page is only available to Jira Software users. If you think you should be a Jira Software user, you should ask your administrator to give you application access to Jira Software.

ctkelvin

Cadet

T4ke

Cadet
Hi @ctkelvin , I just wanted to let you know that I ran in the exact same issue.
I both tested Scale & Core. While it's working perfectly on core it doesn't on scale.
Both freshly setup systems, only created a test pool with an smb home share and joined the domain.
The home directory is created, but it has the ownership root:root and the permission 700.
Even if I manually adjust the permissions and ownership in the shell to the respective user, the user cannot open his home directory.
But one thing I noticed that the ACL preset is named differently under core (home) than under scale (nfs4_home or nfs4_domain_home). I couldn't see if this effectively makes a difference in permissions or if it's purely cosmetic, but didn't want to leave it unmentioned.

ctkelvin

Cadet
I have reported this issue in Beta-2 and they have addressed the issue for SMB only. However, I need to unjoin and rejoin AD once time to make it work properly.

SSH issue is still existed, unable to use domain admin group user to login.