Does TrueNAS (FreeBSD) work on an M1 Mac ..?

TrumanHW

Contributor
Thinking of making a TrueNAS (FreeBSD or Ubuntu) with an m1 (like a Mac Mini), they're
- Quiet
- Very Low Wattage
- Low Thermals
- Use TB3 to an External NVMe Array ...
- 32GB of RAM is enough for my use
- Cheap solution is using the built in 10GbE option
- ...but, I could try using the other TB3 to connect to an SFP28 if possible

Does the Kernel support the M1 CPU ...?

Other reasons this is a bad idea ..?

Last ... I kinda have been waiting to do dRAID: That available yet?

Thanks!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
This will not work for various reasons. I don't have a lot of time right now for details, but that is the tl;dr

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Does the Kernel support the M1 CPU ...?
No

Other reasons this is a bad idea ..?
almost all of your storage would be connected through USB/TB... that's a recipe for disaster even on an Intel Mac mini (where you can probably get it to run... but shouldn't)

Thunderbolt isn't well supported in TrueNAS either.

Last ... I kinda have been waiting to do dRAID: That available yet?
Maybe you didn't understand DRAID, but it's only really for the benefit of massive arrays... I guess you're not talking about this proposed Mac mini system (how would you even connect 50+ disks?)

Yes it's available.

TrumanHW

Contributor
I understand dRAID ... it also makes sense for arrays that aren't filling disks completely in general -- like expensive media, say, NVMe for consumer use that wants it to be fast...quiet, low power, and not have to buy a bunch of drives for parity but making up for it by how quickly it can rebuild the missing data.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The only possible way I can see to run TrueNAS on M1 would be to start with Debian for ARM64, and to build Scale from source, along with an ARM64 kernel from source to match the iX kernel config for Scale.

Looks like there are still plenty of rough spots with getting ARM64 Debian running smoothly on the M1 Macs. See https://git.zerfleddert.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/m1-debian/.

TrumanHW

Contributor
The only possible way I can see to run TrueNAS on M1 would be to start with Debian for ARM64, and to build Scale from source, along with an ARM64 kernel from source to match the iX kernel config for Scale.

Looks like there are still plenty of rough spots with getting ARM64 Debian running smoothly on the M1 Macs. See https://git.zerfleddert.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/m1-debian/.

Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response, and I'll take the wise consensus that this is still over my head for now and stick with the more simplistic methods ... which are (as it is) still sometimes challenging for me. Appreciate all the info.