Do plugins auto-update? if so is it possible to disable it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Sturk

Dabbler
I'm running the crashplan plug-in and had installed 3.6.3_1. I started getting emails today saying this:

/usr/libexec/save-entropy: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

I ssh'ed in and saw a metric ton of zombie processes. I also checked the status of crashplan and it was not running. When poking around at the logs I saw I was now running 3.7.0. I don't recall installing this.

Do these plugins auto-update? Can I disable that feature somehow?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Crashplan client auto updates and then will update the server. Don't worry about the update everything still works on 3.7.

What are the log messages you are seeing? And what type of backup are you doing?

Brian Sturk

Dabbler
Crashplan client auto updates and then will update the server. Don't worry about the update everything still works on 3.7.

What are the log messages you are seeing? And what type of backup are you doing?

The logs for Crashplan 3.7.0 didn't show much, it would just startup and quit immediately. The message about forking was due to the high number of java zombie processes that probably had been accumulating for a while.

I guess I'd just rather not have things updated out from under me, regardless of whether they will work or not. I tend not to upgrade working stuff if I can avoid it.

Just doing a backup to their cloud.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-plugin-wont-start.24243/#post-149005

did you search for anything having to do with "crashplan won't start"? I found this thread that might solve your problem. You can't do anything to stop the application from auto updating. It does this because crashplan can change their api that they use when ever they want and if you want to keep backing up to their cloud storage you need the version of the app they support.

Brian Sturk

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. Yes, I had searched a while back when first installing since it did not work, and the suggestions in that thread (or possibly a different one) got me up and going. With this most recent incident, it went away when I upped the memory config from 1G to 2G for java. I just wanted to prevent future failures but it makes sense if there are protocol changes on Crashplan's end that the plugin would need to be updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.