Do GIGABYTE Z77N-WIFI or H77N-WIFI motherboards resolve dual purposes - Internet in PC and NAS/FreeNAS?

ThakurSN

Dabbler
[Updated on 26 May 2019 : following thread is more elaborately discussed here ]
Earlier I have received a suggestion against my question about a dual usage, and that suggestion appears to contradict my recent finding.

That I want to configure a NAS storage for the backup/synchronize of the video stored in the following camera in its microSD card as I am planning to get another PC/Desktop that can be used for a dual purpose. All my home devices are connected in same WiFi Network. So can I use either GIGABYTE Z77N-WIFI or H77N-WIFI motherboards that can be used to connect both broadband Internet and NAS? Here is the link of the motherboard manufacturer.

Whereas, the Mi Home Security Camera 360° 1080p records High-Definition video with H.265 encoding and stores this video in a 64GB microSD card in it. The camera supports Network Attached Storage (NAS) besides, Network devices or routers with storage capabilities can also be used to store video files that are replicated from the 64GB microSD card to a NAS storage device. The camera takes about six (6) days to complete in filling the microSD card that I wish to store in said NAS storage in question, presently I do backup this to my existing computer's HDD manually, every six days. Stored data is important for three months of storage.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
You asked this same question in another thread. It is not polite to keep asking the same question multiple times.

You cannot connect a FreeNAS system directly with WiFi. It does not matter what the hardware supports... FreeNAS does not support WiFi. You can connect FreeNAS to your network via ethernet, and if you have a WiFi router, that would be the proper way to do it.

As for dual usage - running Windows and FreeNAS on the same hardware, the simple answer is no. It is technically possible with a complicated setup, but you do not want a complicated setup.

ThakurSN

Dabbler
You asked this same question in another thread. It is not polite to keep asking the same question multiple times.

You cannot connect a FreeNAS system directly with WiFi. It does not matter what the hardware supports... FreeNAS does not support WiFi. You can connect FreeNAS to your network via ethernet, and if you have a WiFi router, that would be the proper way to do it.

As for dual usage - running Windows and FreeNAS on the same hardware, the simple answer is no. It is technically possible with a complicated setup, but you do not want a complicated setup.

Sir,

I'd feel very sorry if my above question injured anyones dignity in anyway!

There was no intention to be rude to a gentleman who carefully replied and participated in that thread. This thread was opened almost in the initial stage when I have found about said motherboard post first answer to my earlier question that appeared ended in the first answer, description of said motherboard mentions, "NAS plus Internet : The GIGABYTE Mini-ITX PC can be connected directly to a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device while also connecting to an DSL or Cable modem." so I have decided to reopen my question, however, later earlier thread continued further.

I was desperate to find the answer to my question in a situation when I have found about said motherboard but there was no intention to be rude.

However, since I can connect FreeNAS to my network via ethernet, and since I have a strong WiFi router with Ethernet ports, so this resolves this issue.

I thank you.

Last edited: