Disk upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreyzie

Cadet
Hi , i am currently using freenas 8.04 with 5x1tb raidz2 and serve as iscsi target for my HyperV server. Since that i am hosting more and more vm and the disk usage increased. I am planning to replace all 5x1tb to 6x2tb. What and how can i do without losing my data ? Can i replace one 1 one in the storage setting ? or is there any simple and secure way of upgrading disk ?

sorry , i am a totally unix/linux noob. i know nth about unix cmd.

thank you for your kind help...

Stephens

Patron
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...explaining-VDev-zpool-ZIL-and-L2ARC-for-noobs!

I'm not versed in VM's, so I don't know if that adds a wrinkle, but in a straight machine, you can do the upgrade from 1TB ==> 2TB discs by replacing 1 at a time. Please read the noobsauce presentation because it contains things you want to know (especially starting at slide 15, but really... read the whole thing). As for going from 5 discs to 6, I don't think you easily can. I also don't believe your 5x1TB arrangement is an efficient ZRAID2 arrangement. 6x2TB is better. The question is how you get there. I don't really have any advice other than back up your data, recreate your array, restore the data. Setting up an array is definitely something best done right up front.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The easiest way to go from 5 to 6 disks is to build a new zpool of 6 disks, copy the contents of the old zpool to the new zpool then remove the 5 disk zpool.

You should think hard about how you want your zpool to be because upgrading the zpool after you've built it is expensive. Nothing sucks much more than underestimating how fast you'll fill your zpool and you find yourself spending even more money on another expensive upgrade sooner than you expected.

ProtoSD

MVP
The easiest way to go from 5 to 6 disks is to build a new zpool of 6 disks, copy the contents of the old zpool to the new zpool then remove the 5 disk zpool.

It's the only way, there is no command or anything to convert a pool from 5 to 6 disk. I have a 5 disk z2 pool that I would like to make a 6 disk pool, and copying everything off or moving it somewhere else and rebuilding it the only option.

kreyzie

Cadet
Thanks

Hi all , thank you so much for the advise... i guess i will have to move the data out , rebuild the nas with 6x2tb z2 and reconfig the iscsi settings... appreciate all the answers.. tq! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.