Disc issues, zpool questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you want to spend 5-figures for your data? That's literally what you are talking for ZFS recovery. The recovery companies literally have to make the tool for your specific setup, and its not cheap. They also know they have you by the balls, so they'll charge outrageous fees for your data. That's why, if you read my presentation(link in my sig) I say there are no ZFS recovery tools. Because either you've paid someone to setup your server right(and you aren't likely to need to pay for recovery services), or you've done it yourself because you can't afford said services. The company I worked with that tried ZFS recovery with one of those recovery experts charged over $20k for 450GB of data. :)

I do offer data recovery services. They aren't cheap, but I've had about an 85% success rate. PM me if interested.

As for the SMART output. There's a few UDMA errors(cabling/communication errors). But nothing sticks out like a sore thumb as the cause for your problems.

Other than that, I have no recommendations. :(

Joakim Almgren

Dabbler
Happy days! i think I'll go talk to a bottle of whiskey.

Thanks for your time anyways, I'll try to seek some more help, when that fails I'll send you a pm.

Joakim Almgren

Dabbler
So..

I got 3 options here right?

1. Send the discs to you and pay (for 85% chance to get the data back)?
2. zpool import -fFX and pray
3. Send the discs to a company and go bankruptcy

One question thou, why cant i import my pool when one disc failed in a raidz1?
Isnt the whole purpose with raidz that one disc can fail?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So..

I got 3 options here right?

1. Send the discs to you and pay (for 85% chance to get the data back)?
2. zpool import -fFX and pray
3. Send the discs to a company and go bankruptcy

That's the only 3 options I can think of. Be warned that if you do -fFX you significantly hurt the chancesof of recovery since it can do more damage than good.

One question thou, why cant i import my pool when one disc failed in a raidz1?
Isnt the whole purpose with raidz that one disc can fail?

You have no redundancy now. Any corruption is permanent and unavoidable. ZFS has no choice but to accept it as it is. If it causes the system to crash, so be it. If it won't mount, so be it. You are stuck with trying to solve the problem hands-on since ZFS can't fix what it doesn't have(redundancy). I can't tell you much more than that since you have no more protection. But you are a posterchild for why RAIDZ1 is just crazy irresponsible. It's why I have that link in my sig and people still continue to use it despite the warnings.

Joakim Almgren

Dabbler
Yes you told me raidz1 and raid5 is dead in previous posts, thats not helping much right now.
But that doesnt answer the question why the pool dont mount when 3 discs seems to be just fine.

One more thing before I talk business in private with you, why did the co founder of FreeBSD Jordan Hubbard tell you to eat a bag of dicks?

http://www.tjockfet.se/bsdnow_ep015_99_extra.mov

No offense from my part, just curious to know before i send you my cousins data.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It was a joke. We were in IRC channel and he was trying to prank me. We laughed pretty hard at it actually. I just wish there was the minute or so before he said it the look on their faces while they tried to decide if they wanted to do it. Jordan PMed him and said he'd do it for $15 to paypal right then, so he went with it. :p

As for why, that's prety much anyone's guess. We tell people not to do RAIDZ1 because of the danger of having no redundancy. We don't know why things may have gone wrong. There's so many ways you can improperly use ZFS. For example, not using the right hardware or choosing to set sync=disabled are 2 frequent reasons for problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.