Different data sets with SABNzb Sonarr and Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedeaux

Dabbler
I have a quick question to see if I am heading into a difficult situation. Please feel free to direct me here as I am still getting the hang of FreeNAS and ZFS.

I have a pool of 4 drives which I created a volume and dataset for media on. For temporary storage, I have added two other drives -- set up as single volumes. One is used to make some storage outside the scope of media available in my home network -- nothing permanent. The other is a smaller drive, and I would consider it a 'dump' or temporary storage.

My hopes is to get Plex up and running, serving media to my home. I am using SABNzb and Sonarr to grab an process shows.

Question: Is to too far of a stretch to make the 'dump' dataset (physically different volume) my download and preprocessing area for downloading media -- i.e. used by Sonarr and SABNzb and then allow access to the mediapool to SABNzb to push it's media to plex? Am I complicating this too much? What potential issues should I expect and have to overcome?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Having everything in the save dataset would make moving files easier and faster but that is all I can think of that would be different. The setup would be different also but I think that if a given.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Definitions
processing = sabnzbd unraring a bunch of file to a new file/files
post-processing = sabnzbd or sonarr moving/renaming/deleting/organizing those files

####

I've done something similar in the past.
With sabnzbd on spinning harddrives there is a performance benefit in processing from one drive to another so reads & writes are not jumping back and forth to different parts of the disk.

From a performance perspective your method of having the download location on the dump drive would be wrong. The optimal configuration would be to have your incomplete download location on your dump drive, and have your download location be on the final drive. Optimally your media would also be post-processed have their final resting place be on the same drives (and dataset) so moving them from the download location wold be just a point change instead of a read-write-delete operation.

dedeaux

Dabbler
Definitions
processing = sabnzbd unraring a bunch of file to a new file/files
post-processing = sabnzbd or sonarr moving/renaming/deleting/organizing those files

####

I've done something similar in the past.
With sabnzbd on spinning harddrives there is a performance benefit in processing from one drive to another so reads & writes are not jumping back and forth to different parts of the disk.

From a performance perspective your method of having the download location on the dump drive would be wrong. The optimal configuration would be to have your incomplete download location on your dump drive, and have your download location be on the final drive. Optimally your media would also be post-processed have their final resting place be on the same drives (and dataset) so moving them from the download location wold be just a point change instead of a read-write-delete operation.

Awesome. I see what you are saying. I'll get to fiddling with it and see how things go. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.