device is currently being resilvered

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkme

Contributor
I have the following error message and have no clue what it means:

• CRITICAL: Aug. 1, 2017, 9:55 p.m. - The volume trust state is ONLINE: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
What does this mean? it is a 2.5" NAS drive

Update: I have 2 x 1 TB drives mirrored in one volume and I believe re-silvering is writing the data on both drives?

My thinking is the data gets written on one drive and gets then duplicated to the other drive?

jerryjharrison

Explorer
Resilvering is the process of bringing a disk back up to speed within the drive array. I assume you either added or replaced one of the drives, and when that happens, the drive must be resilvered in order to mirror the other drive. This can take a long period of time, but once complete your array is back to full strength. Until that process is complete, your array is operating without the safety of the new/replaced drive.

nojohnny101

Wizard
To confirm this is the case, or to check progress, you can run zpool status from the console.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirkme

Contributor
Thanks a lot guys, i am usual used to BTRFs raids, guess i have to look up ZFS now ;-)

So far, I like ZFS, just don't like that Micro$oft has their dirty fingers in it.

Stux

MVP
So far, I like ZFS, just don't like that Micro$oft has their dirty fingers in it.

:-/

They don't. I think :)

Oracle does/did.

ZFS forked into OpenZFS and OracleZFS at v28

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks a lot guys, i am usual used to BTRFs raids, guess i have to look up ZFS now ;-)

Where do you get the idea that Microsoft is somehow involved in ZFS?

dirkme

Contributor
:-/

They don't. I think :)

Oracle does/did.

ZFS forked into OpenZFS and OracleZFS at v28
A little off topic I guess, I see that you haved FreeNAS installed as Boot: 2 x 16GB Sandisk Cruiser Fit 3.0 (at 2.0) so, I didn't know that was possible, I trust they run as mirrored on ZFS? So, if I am right, could I add another USB stick, add it to my system ZFS and set it up to mirror?

danb35

Hall of Famer
2 x 16GB Sandisk Cruiser Fit 3.0 (at 2.0) so, I didn't know that was possible
If you'd read the manual, you'd have known that.

Edit: Heck, even the installer tells you that you can install to multiple devices:
install3a.png

Last edited:

dirkme

Contributor

Edit: Heck, even the installer tells you that you can install to multiple devices:
install3a.png

So, I guess i can't change my install anymore, but i could save all my config files do a fresh install and import my config file and volumes would be recognized again?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Now, now, helpful and encouraging.
So, I guess i can't change my install anymore, but i could save all my config files do a fresh install and import my config file and volumes would be recognized again?
You can add a mirror to the existing boot drive, they just need to be the same size.
There is a menu option for it in the GUI.
I migrated my installation from an 8GB USB boot drive to a 40GB laptop style hard drive by adding the laptop drive as the mirror disk. After the resilver is done, you can then remove the USB drive and add another laptop drive as the replacement disk. It is more reliable than USB for the boot drive. You just need to update the boot order in the BIOS to allow the system to only boot from those two hard drives and no other drives.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I like being helpful and encouraging. I like it more when the people I'm being helpful and encouraging to have made some effort to help themselves by using the resources available to them. @dirkme does not appear to be doing that.

@dirkme, the manual answers your question.

dirkme

Contributor
I like being helpful and encouraging. I like it more when the people I'm being helpful and encouraging to have made some effort to help themselves by using the resources available to them. @dirkme does not appear to be doing that.

@dirkme, the manual answers your question.

I have a different way of learning :smile:

dirkme

Contributor

You can add a mirror to the existing boot drive, they just need to be the same size.
There is a menu option for it in the GUI.
I migrated my installation from an 8GB USB boot drive to a 40GB laptop style hard drive by adding the laptop drive as the mirror disk. After the resilver is done, you can then remove the USB drive and add another laptop drive as the replacement disk. It is more reliable than USB for the boot drive. You just need to update the boot order in the BIOS to allow the system to only boot from those two hard drives and no other drives.

Thanks, these are good news :smile:

Stux

MVP
You can add a mirror to the existing boot drive, they just need to be the same size

The additional drive only has to be equal or larger.

Boot volume is set to not auto-expand by default, but you can force it, so you can install to 16GB, then add a 32GB as a mirror... then replace the 16GB with a 32GB, then expand to 32GB... if you wanted.

And yes, this is in the manual :)

But no-one reads those to find out what they can do, rather if you're lucky how to do something that you think you can do. being able to mirror your boot at install or afterwards is a neat trick, and its not obvious that you can do it, so why would you look up how to?

Stux

MVP
So, if I am right, could I add another USB stick, add it to my system ZFS and set it up to mirror?

Although they are mirrored, and this will protect the install, there are actually two boot sectors (one per USB) and if a USB goes bad (and it affects booting), your BIOS will still be pointing at the bad USB, but when you point it to the good one, or remove the bad one, then everything will come back as it was before the bad one failed.

And then when you replace the bad one, it will resilver from the good one too.

So good :)

danb35

Hall of Famer

dirkme

Contributor
Although they are mirrored, and this will protect the install, there are actually two boot sectors (one per USB) and if a USB goes bad (and it affects booting), your BIOS will still be pointing at the bad USB, but when you point it to the good one, or remove the bad one, then everything will come back as it was before the bad one failed.

And then when you replace the bad one, it will resilver from the good one too.

So good :)

For dummies, I would have to remove the bad USB for the boot up and attach a new USB as replacement ones FreeNAS booted from the good USB, right?

Stux

MVP
For dummies, I would have to remove the bad USB for the boot up

Not necessarily. But that is the most predictable approach.

and attach a new USB as replacement ones FreeNAS booted from the good USB, right?

Only if you want to restore redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.